What's new
What's new

Hand held engraver recommendations or alternative suggestions

Mattkarhan

Plastic
I have a customer for whom I am making a few (10) grade 2 titanium socket head cap screws. Two specific sets of five fasteners, all different specs of clear shank and overall length. The previous set I made were numbered by the customer by hand engraver to allow ease of installation. He requested labeling , port and starboard as well as 1 thru 5.
What tool should I buy to do so? Too many shit tools out there to buy without recommendation as I would like to buy a very serviceable medium duty unit that works out of the box.
I would appreciated any recommendations. I also considered engraving in the VMC but esthetics are not a concern, quick an easy like a hand tool. Please let me know if you have any alternative marking ideas.
Must fit on a 6mm socket head cap screw, ie “P5” or “S2”.
Thanks

I have both an air impact engraver (like the CP that gbent posted, but mine is a Blue-Point) and also use a micro air die grinder (Dotco 60k RPM) with a tiny rotary diamond bit for engraving. Both have their benefits and drawbacks, but both will do the job you're looking to do well.

I really like those miniature electro-chemical etching things, where you make a little stencil and hold the pad against the part. They work on round parts, too, just roll it. The markings look super. They aren't expensive, either.

I really like those miniature electro-chemical etching things, where you make a little stencil and hold the pad against the part. They work on round parts, too, just roll it. The markings look super. They aren't expensive, either.

I used one to mark nearly all of my tools back in the '80's.
If I recall, you need a typewriter to make the stencils.....

I remember the toolroom in work used a really old "arctogap", even though they had a laser (things were usually round so a pia with a laser), I tried a version of YouTube chemical with graphite and a psu, marked it ok, only as good as your handwriting though.
Mark

Back