What's new
What's new

Need Tap Recommendation - 1/8-27 NPS for 304SS

ranchak

Cast Iron
I have an upcoming job that I need to tap 1/8-27 NPT and 1/8-27 NPS holes in 304 SS. I can not seem to find a supplier for the 1/8-27 NPS Tap. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the replies guys, but this is a straight pipe tap, ie. NPS, not tapered. It's for 304SS, if you look at McMaster they don't have straight pipe taps for Stainless Steel

Thanks for the replies guys, but this is a straight pipe tap, ie. NPS, not tapered. It's for 304SS, if you look at McMaster they don't have straight pipe taps for Stainless Steel

They certainly do have NPS taps, NPSF too. They aren't specifically made for stainless, it just says they are HSS for most metals and plastic. FWIW I have bought the "long life" npt pipe taps from them and they are Widia brand TiN coated.

You guys are right I didn't say how many parts I have to do. On this run there are 200 Straight threads and 100 Tapered thread, this will be an on going job. Mike1974 you are correct, I called McMaster and the NPT taps are TiN coated Widia.

The hardest pipe tap for stainless is British standard

The best tap for stainless is Emuge. We do all of the weird stainless steels. Our guys think 316/317 is the gravy work. We've got a job coming in that's all CD4MCu, duplex stainless. That's the only duplex that meets B&PVC section IX.
JR

Back