What's new
What's new

Metric banjo attachment for Hardinge

TimH

Hot Rolled
I have been wanting to get the metric thread cutting banjo & gears for my HLVH. I met a guy at an auction that said he had the Hardinge kit. I'm not completely sure what is needed to cut metric threads. Can someone tell me what gears this kit should come with? Other than the bracket that holds the gears what else should be in the kit. I priced one directly from HArdinge and it was $2500. That is an awful lot of $ TIA Tim

from my literature (sold the HLV-H in '89, the money looks like a house at present ;-)

"|quote
Metric threads can be easily cut on the Hardinge HLV-H toolroom lathe by the application of a metric attachment to the gearbox.

Each attachment consists of a bracket, mounting studs, and a bushing, one 127 tooth translating gear,one 50 and two 30 tooth gears, and a gear box cover.
.50,1.00, and 2.00 mm threads can be cut with gears supplied. Metric threads from .1 to 3.00mm can be cut by purchasing additional gears.

End quote

There are three bracket types, Inch, Metric, and combined inch metric.

Hope it helps

Cheers

The important gear is the 127 tooth one. The standard kit comes with a 50 and (2) 30 tooth gears as well.There are other gears needed to do certain pitches, so you might want to look at page 10 & 11 in the Operators manual to confirm what you need to do a specific thread. There is also a different banjo that all these pieces go on. The 127 is large and will not fit in the standard housing, so the Hardinge kit comes with a new housing that comes almost to the edge of the cabinet. The times I've used mine I've been lucky to have the right gear combos.

You might go to Griffiths Engineering. He sells gears. Myford gears can be used on the outboard end of the Hardinge gearbox. As long as the teeth mesh,you don't have to use anyone's gears in particular.

The important gear is the 127 tooth one. The standard kit comes with a 50 and (2) 30 tooth gears as well.There are other gears needed to do certain pitches, so you might want to look at page 10 & 11 in the Operators manual to confirm what you need to do a specific thread. There is also a different banjo that all these pieces go on. The 127 is large and will not fit in the standard housing, so the Hardinge kit comes with a new housing that comes almost to the edge of the cabinet. The times I've used mine I've been lucky to have the right gear combos.

Thanks thats the info I was after

Back