What's new
What's new

Hardinge C24 chuck mount plate

scojen

Stainless
Ok, I have a MSC Feeler Hardinge clone lathe with a Hardinge C24 chuck mount. I think it is the same as a L series type chuck mount, but there are 4 different mounts in the L series L-00, L-0, L-1, L-2. Question is which L series mount is the same as a C24 Hardinge. I want to order another chuck and backplate but need to verify the mount first. This is a slip fit non-threaded plate.

Draw back nuts are a dead give away. Thumbnail illustrates L00 thru L3

I.E., if I had a lathe with a 7 1/2" OD draw back nut this chart says L1

Attachments

• L Type Nuts.jpg
    L Type Nuts.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 504
The Hardinge C24 is a 5 inch diameter tapered spindle mount "Fixture Plate." It is possible to machine it to fit some types of flat back lathe chuck, but it is too thin (3/4 inch) for a Buck Ajust-Tru or PBA Setrite adjustable chuck.

The Hardinge 4 degree taper spindle nose is completely different from the long taper (L-series) spindle nose, so there is no way to mix them up. Some of the chuck makers do sell adapter plates for their chucks with the Hardinge 4 degree taper fitting. But most chuck makers do not sell them, so the available ones are expensive.

Pratt Burnerd America has 5 and 6 inch Setrite chucks and Hardinge 4 degree taper plates for them. http://www.prattburnerd.com/detail-mc.php?p=MC&l=SC&m=SC-253-263 PBA also has 6 and 8 inch independent 4-jaw chucks with 4 degree mounts. 4-Jaw, High Quality, Independent Chucks

Hardinge also has chucks (not made by Hardinge) to fit their spindles.

Larry

Pratt Burnerd America has 5 and 6 inch Setrite chucks and Hardinge 4 degree taper plates for them. http://www.prattburnerd.com/detail-mc.php?p=MC&l=SC&m=SC-253-263 PBA also has 6 and 8 inch independent 4-jaw chucks with 4 degree mounts. 4-Jaw, High Quality, Independent Chucks

Hardinge also has chucks (not made by Hardinge) to fit their spindles. Larry

Certainly I can confirm Larry's comments about PBA Chuck mounts as I got both a 5" and 6" 4°Taper mount earlier this year ... NOT cheap, see below:

5” Fully Machined Setrite chuck back plate P/n. 050544 Price £230.00. Semi-machined back plate P/n. 0503044 Price £184.00
6” Fully Machined Setrite chuck back plate P/n. 060544 Price £235.00. Semi-machined back plate P/n. 0603044 Price £200.00

Hope this helps ;)

John :typing::cheers:

Gentlemen,
Thank you for all your help, new chuck and back plate on order, bought the Pratt Barnard a bit pricey, but it should out live the machine its going on.

Back