What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV-h electrical access door wont open.

donleybill

Plastic
New to me is a Hardinge HLV-H s/n 14984 lathe. Going through everything and discovered I can't open the electric access door. The locking screws were remover,the power switch off, no power to the lathe and the door will only slightly open (opens 1/2" max). The rotary power switch is plastic and has a small bar in the center which can be pulled out. There is a lever on the side of the switch that will pivot. Something like a safety device is holding this door back and I don't want to force the door open. Need some helpful advice.

Something like a safety device is holding this door back and I don't want to force the door open. Need some helpful advice.

It's called a safety interlock. Used to prevent access when under power. Turning the lever in one direction will disconnect a internal breaker thus disconnecting power. The lever is turned in the other direction to lock the cabinet door and latch the breaker closed. The bar you refer to probably has a key of some sort at the internals end that connects into some receptacle that turns the breaker on and off.

If the lever is pivoted one way, the door should close. The other way and the door starts to open up to 1/2". The rod connected to the lever is not disengaging from the breaker. A little jiggling or sideways movement usually gets it free. Once you get the door open you will be able to figure out the whole thing.

Last edited:
Thanks.
using an American Rotary RFC to run my HLV-H always shutting off the lathe at its rotary switch when not in use. Well apparently I forgot to shut off the rotary switch and now the lathe won’t work start anything. With the American Phase converter I’m using two 220v (2 hot lines) are active active at all times. This power was feed to the Harding lathe for an unknown amount of times which did something causing it not to run. I knew this was going to be a problem but my solution was faulty.
What do you suppose has happened to my lathe control box when hooked to 220v (2 hot 110v lines) for a period of a week or so?

Thanks.
using an American Rotary RFC to run my HLV-H always shutting off the lathe at its rotary switch when not in use. Well apparently I forgot to shut off the rotary switch and now the lathe won’t work start anything. With the American Phase converter I’m using two 220v (2 hot lines) are active active at all times. This power was feed to the Harding lathe for an unknown amount of times which did something causing it not to run. I knew this was going to be a problem but my solution was faulty.
What do you suppose has happened to my lathe control box when hooked to 220v (2 hot 110v lines) for a period of a week or so?
The two hots enter the control box and connect to one side of the main relay. That by itself does nothing. Until the start button is pressed.
Have your checked any fuses? Take pictures. Hlvh boxes all look different.

If you have door opening problems then the hinge pin can be drifted out. Been a while.

Last edited:
Cabinet hinges are often spot welded. The welds can be drilled out and replaced with small nuts and bolts. If you have to you can wire brush off the paint to see the welds from the outside,
A photo of the latch handle may help.
Bill D

Last edited:

Back