What's new
What's new

Hardinge R8 Precision Collets

ExMachina161

Plastic
Inspecting the condition of my R8 smooth round collets the other day, I noticed something strange about a couple of my old Hardinge R8 collets. Hardinge is supposed to be a one piece design with no thread inserts that are staked. (no stake marks on the keyway). I noticed that two of my Hardinge r8's jave these stake marks. Did Hardinge produce a less expensive line of R8 collets? Can a precision r8 be made in two pieces? My other Hardinge r8's have no keyway marks. I plan on calling Hardinge to see if I can get more information. Another thing I see with Hardinge r8's, is that some collets are black oxided and others are bright finish. Why all the discrepancies? Variations?
Maybe there are fake Hardinge r8's floating around?

Since I have been machining I can tell you the relative age of 5C collets by the improvements over the years. First all the info was stamped on the collet face, then laser engraved now with radii in the end of the slots. One of the mis-steps along the way were the racing clearance grooves on the taper.
On R-8 I only had one set and they were the one piece, not sure what preceded or followed. You maybe looking at manufacturing evolution or counterfeits. I bet
Larry will know.

Back