What's new
What's new

Hardinge Sjogren 5C Collet Chuck Question...

jkilroy

Diamond
I recently purchased a Hardince Sjogren 5C collet chuck. The threads that engage the collet appear to be so worn that I can just slide a collet full depth into the chuck.:skep: If I take the chuck off the machine and try the back end of the threads the collet engages properly. Obviously this is a problem. Anyone familar? Can it be fixed? Does anyone currently make parts for these chucks? Will the price give me a heart attack? Should I contact the seller and request a refund as the unit was listed as "good used" condition?

The 5C Sjogren chucks are rare, so there are few used ones out there and probably no used 5C parts. Looking at the parts list, I see the center gear for the 5C is the same as the one for the 1J chucks, but No. 1 Sjogren chucks are also scarce. A new 5C center gear will probably cost more than you paid for the chuck. A refund makes sense unless you think you can repair the worn part, which is a hardened steel gear with a threaded center.

http://www.hardingeus.com/usr/pdf/collet/b123_sjogren.pdf

Larry

ATS does currently make the Sjogren line. The center gear cannot be turned around, it is not a symmetrical fit so that's out. Cutting out the center and pressing in a threaded sleeve looks doable though for what I paid for this thing, because it is a very rare X model with a Hardinge taper nose, I feel a bit ripped. The unit was listed as "Good Used" which I feel was not accurate.

Hardinge Sjogren 5c Collet Nose w D1 3 Drive Hardinge Taper Nose OD | eBay

Well, not quite sent back, seller thinks the item is perfect, though it is obvious he doesn't know how it works, only that "It looked fine when I shipped it". Got a quote from ATS, a new center gear is $215, not bad considering. I have passed the info onto the seller and we will see how he wants to handle it.

I have repaired the 5c threads in collet closers by building up the worn threads with welding and rethreading them. I used one of them for years with no problems.
jimsehr

Last edited:
Well that sure is an option, but I still need to get some satisfaction from the seller as I purchase an item in "good used" shape and it sure isn't. Did the welding harden the metal? I would be afraid of not being able to cut the thread after welding.

I went to a welder I trusted and told him what I needed and that I had to machine part when it was done. But I have heard that the seller you got it from was a good guy. So I hope he will make it right with you. Good luck let us know how it turns out.
jimsehr

The seller is a stand up guy, told me to order the replacement part and he would handle the refund. Very likely I will do business with the guy again.

Back