What's new
What's new

Harrison m300 chuck size?

Ed

Aluminum
I am down sizing from a rivett 1030 to Harrison m300.
The lathe I bought came with an import 4 jaw chuck 10 inch d1-4.
This chuck appears unused. Weighs 52lbs. Is this to big for the lathe.
Maybe slow speeds? Would the weight be too heavy for the spindle?
I have a buck 8 inch tru set chuck with a d1-6 backing that could be changed to the d1-4 but it weighs 50 pounds.
How do know if too much weight?

Thanks Ed.

Moving to smaller place the 1030 is too much to move.

I am not familiar with your new lathe. My generic (good for any lathe) advice is to try to find the OEM catalog listing for the machine and see what chucks were sold by the OEM for that model. I would start with Tony's site, either in the Harrison pages or in his literature for sale list.

On the chuck speed, try to identify the maker and material and look for a similar chuck online with a speed rating, then deduct whatever seems right considering your chuck's maker.

Larry

Check the bellows on the shifter on the apron they are often ripped and leak oil. I have been trying to make a replacement from a silicone baby bottle nipple. I almost have a good design.
The gear shift cam (8) position often gets gummed up. Do not force it.
I believe the stock lathe came with a 7" or 8" chuck. Mine had a Prat Bernad one on it.

Weight shouldn't be an issue at all, top speed maybe on some chucks. I have a Harrison M300 bought new around 1990 and use a 6" 3 jaw and a 8" 4 jaw mostly, those were offered as options for the lathe at the time. I do have a 10" 4 jaw with a 3" hole I use occasionally because of the larger capacity, I like to get the work piece as far in the chuck as possible, never had any issues using it.
Dan

Back