What's new
What's new

Head for Milling

ikke21

Plastic
Hello,

I recently found a old milling machine at my shed and I am almost finished bij building it.
The first thing I dont know is the head that i have to use to connect the milling cutter to the machine.
I have attached some pictures that make it a bit clearer. (sorry for my bad technical english)
Furthermore I searched for a manual for this specific milling machine but cant find it.
Maybe anyone of you guys know where to search or can send me in the direction. The machine is a: Fritz Miller R201.

WhatsApp Image 2018-02-24 at 17.24.54.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2018-02-24 at 17.24.51(1).jpgWhatsApp Image 2018-02-24 at 17.24.51.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2018-02-24 at 17.24.52(1).jpgWhatsApp Image 2018-02-24 at 17.24.52.jpg

Berend

Thanks for the reactions.
Here I have some pictures of the whole machine. There are still some ropes and chains connected cause we just put on the milling part.
From what I heard this machine is a combination between a drill press and a milling machine but it is possible to mill aluminium and steel with it.
WhatsApp Image 2018-02-25 at 12.48.04(1).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2018-02-25 at 12.48.04(2).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2018-02-25 at 12.48.04.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2018-02-25 at 12.48.05.jpg

Though photos way too small, it appears to have been a FW mill someone butchered and grafted on a drill press column and head

It is no longer a milling machine - the important parts for milling have been removed

The photos seem to be made smaller by the forum.
Here are the links of the photos on tinypic where there are a bit bigger and clearer.
http://oi65.tinypic.com/2197612.jpg
http://nl.tinypic.com/r/1zyhurk/9
http://nl.tinypic.com/r/2yyxyc0/9
http://nl.tinypic.com/r/e9tc9u/9
What do you mean with FW mill?
What do you mean by butchered the drill press column and head?
And the only thing missing is the head to attach a milling cutter, or am I missing something?
The rest of the machine is working perfectly the rails and the motor work great.

What Jan said. There is at least one other Fritz Werner recently discussed.

They made this model as a light-duty mill, that, AS a full-fledged mills, could of course drill holes also.

Adding a bespoke drill press head to this product line allowed longer quill travel and more of the speed and convenience of operation for pure drilling of holes than a mill ordinarily has.

The reverse does not work. Not unless you find a swap-in milling head unit further back in your shed.

As it is NOW, it is a drill press with nicer table clamping and X-Y-Z positioning than usual.

It is no longer a mill, and should not be asked to pretend it is. Not even in shiney-wood. Wood or plastics, maybe, but a common router handles those well-enough.

Let's see if we can help sort the spindle nose to mate it up to toolholding so you can drill.

More and better photos needed. Dimensions as well.

WORST case, you'll have some basic lathe work to do or arrange done, and it need not be done to the spindle itself. Simple adaptor, rather.

Last edited:
johnoder was saying that someone has removed the milling head and replaced it with a drill press head. Doing that has made the machine not suitable to be used as a mill.

johnoder was saying that someone has removed the milling head and replaced it with a drill press head. Doing that has made the machine not suitable to be used as a mill.

That "someone" was almost certainly the Fritz Werner factory themselves, simply expanding their product line as an option to make owning their own mills more flexible and attractive to their target market.

Smaller shops, one supposes, for thi particular model, not grand machine-halls where highly specialized machinery at each station made better economic sense that convertibles, pervertables, or compromises.

I'd rate it far the better machine than the current crop of Asian "mill-drills". It "has good bones", even if modest ones.

But an early example of serving much the same market as mill-drills are aimed at would not be an unfair call, either. Wasn't the only machine tool that maker offered, after all.

Last edited:
What Jan said. There is at least one other Fritz Miller recently discussed.

Bill, pull your head out of your you know what and look at the pictures. It's a Fritz Werner!

Fritz Werner used to make all kinds of machine tools. There is also a Fritz Werner that makes amunition. We used to have several FW horizontal machining centers. Great machines, but the company went under. The machine tool name was bought by an Indian company.

This is a strange example of a FW machinbe tool. FW models were X.XXX. The numbers didn't make any sense to me because you could have a 2.XXX vertical and a horizontal with 2.YYY. Look at the stuff on Tony's page :Werner Milling Machines . I don't see anything remotely similar.

I'm wondering if the machine base wasn't built by this FW: History: Fritz Werner
JR

It's a Fritz Werner!
Up from a nap. Coffee injected. MY Brain fart corrected, thanks, all!
I'm wondering if the machine base wasn't built by this FW: History: Fritz Werner
JR

Well of course it was. Unless the pattern was sold that carried the name into the casting and the rights to use of the name along with it. Which DOES happen. You know the industry.

This one looks too old to have yet "escaped" to new owners. BRD government surplus, perhaps? UK MoD arsenal Werner-equipped, later surplused? Hauled back from India? "Family", as-in human minders, may know more than the Iron can tell us by this point. Doubt it grew from an egg in the same shed it resides in now. There is a back-story.

Look into the "modular" goods in this section:

Werner Milling Machines

Note swappable tops above the flat platform above the top of the vertical ways of the knee. Similar, if not identical, structure to the platform on the one the OP holds.

Note more "building block" extensions, yet.

The very sort of firm as would have offered more atop that flat than "only" a vertical milling head. As they did.

Photos, (thank you Tony, and your helpers) so this sort of thing DID "happen", no third-party cobble required.

:)

Even so, a platform attach point was presented that would have made that as easy for anyone else as it did for the factory.

Forensics on the paint, upper and lower, find matching layers. Or not. Tale might quickly be confirmed or denied.

Back