What's new
What's new

O.T. RTV Silicone Drying Time Query.

redlee

Titanium
Changing the ATF fluid and filter on my vehicle, RTV silicone is recommended.
Says right on the tube let dry for 24 hours before refilling, thats fine but the question is, what do the dealers and auto shops do?
Im sure they dont let it sit for 24 hours.
Thanks.

I've had friends who apply the silicone, assemble the cover/pan/whatever, then fill it up with oil or water and start driving. That's their normal practice, and they never have leaks. If I did that, it would be Leak City.

My dad beat into me from as early as I can remember: RTV DOES NOT GO where oil goes. It doesn’t take too much squeezing out and breaking off to plug an oil galley. I’d be even more leery using it on an automatic transmission application. Tons of nooks and crannies that a spec of errant RTV would love to block off. Err on the side of caution at the very least... maybe look into something more like motorcycle case sealer... Hondabond or Yamabond semi-liquid sealant. The idea behind those products is they never fully harden and are less likely to block critical passages.

Be safe

Jeremy

Owned trans shop for 3 years. Been building them for 20+ years. I have never had a leak related to filling with oil too soon.

TIP- Use auto paint grease and wax remover to wipe down surfaces before you apply sealant. Then you will have no leaks.

if you follow the instructions, it depends on what type of RTV that you have. acid or water based.

ive let it tack up for 10 minutes or so, put the bolts in, let it mate up and dry, then tighten 24 hrs later, that way you don't just squish all the sealant out.

Owned trans shop for 3 years. Been building them for 20+ years. I have never had a leak related to filling with oil too soon.

TIP- Use auto paint grease and wax remover to wipe down surfaces before you apply sealant. Then you will have no leaks.

Just doing my own filter changes, I always cleaned the pan and gasket surfaces with carb cleaner, a few times until a white cloth stays clean.

And the sealant I always use a gloved finger to spread it very thin.
and let it tack up for 15 minutes or so, for less ooze out.

I hope I did o.k. using the carb cleaner.

Carb cleaner is what I use for such operations. I also use it for getting stains out of laundry and my teeth. It's also extremely effective at locating cuts on your hand. It's also useful for knocking wasps out of mid-air and if you want a product that will help you spend 15 minutes washing your eyes out while swearing, it's good for that too. I've never actually tried cleaning a carb with it.

Carb cleaner is what I use for such operations. I also use it for getting stains out of laundry and my teeth. It's also extremely effective at locating cuts on your hand. It's also useful for knocking wasps out of mid-air and if you want a product that will help you spend 15 minutes washing your eyes out while swearing, it's good for that too. I've never actually tried cleaning a carb with it.

Buy the cheapest Walmart house brand....it don't sting as much.

I use it for cleaning the tube and valve from "can foam" I can re-use a partial can, months later.

I just brake clean everything. like one can per job min. maybe special it will get acetone wipe.

but carb clean works well too, just leaves a residue with some kinds. and its expensive.

Boy GregSY you have been a cantankerous old goat lately... Everything okay?

PS: And no joking, it makes a great alternative to ether for starting balky engines after storage.

I've never actually tried cleaning a carb with it.

Some years ago I was restoring a Yamaha SR500 that had sat almost since it was new. Nothing had been fine to mothball the bike, so it had the typical ran when parked issues. Carb was totally clogged... I bought the Yamalube carb cleaner concentrate. The instructions were to put the carb in a vessel large enough to cover it, add the Yamalube product and dilute with up to 2 gallons of gasoline. This was around 1999-2000, gasoline was under a buck and the Yamaha dealership probably got me for $8...

Be safe

Jeremy

Back