What's new
What's new

Heid Lathe Purchase. Need Some Help With Electricals

sapwood

Aluminum
Ive just got my hands on a Heid Lathe, Shes a big brute with a 4 jaw the size of your average car wheel.
Im looking forward to getting her plugged in, but before I hitch her up to our 3 phase supply I have to wire her up.
Basicaly the lathe itself is pretty simple. It has a big mains cable going into the headstock, which is obviously for the motor. Then seperately from that is a thinner armoured cable going to the saddle.
Now i got with this lathe a big steel case which housed all the electrical contactors and power supplies etc. But before I just go connecting my mains wires and evetually ending the world I think i owe it to everyone to understand what everything is and its purpose. So can anyone take a look at the pics and closeups of whats in the box and explain what this stuff is and its purpose within this system..
WP_20180212_013.jpgWP_20180212_012.jpgWP_20180212_011.jpgWP_20180212_010.jpgWP_20180212_009.jpg

couple of things:

First, go into your profile and add UK to the country. This might keep guys that have never seen stuff like that from making comments on it. No, some still will make them, but it does help.

Second, send a PM (private message) to Clive603. He is in the UK and is very knowledgable about the electrics on a lot of the European equipment.

Third, as Doug said, it should be been in the "Transformers, Phase Converters and VFD". You know where that is, you have a post there!
JR

Hi There,
If it was the one on Ebay from Weatherby then it is the DLZK which is the copy lathe but this one has had all the copy parts removed! which may be a problem with the electromagnetic clutches as they are expecting a signal from the copy device. Lathes UK have a manual but it is pricey at about £80.
Dirk

when you buy a TV do you open it up first and find out what everything does? of course not.
then why on Earth would you think you can/need at the drop of a hat learn what is going on in the electrical cabinet on a 30 horse lathe

Some of the stuff in there is normal ,some not so much ,post #7 could explain it. I think you could be in for a learning curve . Find the plate on the motor ,that will be a good start.

Back