What's new
What's new

Using a height gage

Pinch

Plastic
Okay another newbie question:

I found this height gage on Ebay: Mitutoyo 10" Vernier Height Gage | eBay

If you'll notice, it doesn't go all the way down to the resting surface, only to the top of its base, so you can't bring the scribe part down to the surface plate to zero out. Also, the scribe is not really a scribe. Does this design have a specific use? It's different from the others I've seen. Thanks!

HG2.jpgHG1.jpg

That height gage is pretty heavily worn and is missing the clamp and scriber point. Not worth the $64 asking price in MHO. I bought one exactly like that one with the scriber and clamp in about the same shape, heavily worn for $10.

missing clamp

If you'll notice, it doesn't go all the way down to the resting surface, only to the top of its base, so you can't bring the scribe part down to the surface plate to zero out. Also, the scribe is not really a scribe. Does this design have a specific use? It's different from the others I've seen. Thanks!

View attachment 116656View attachment 116657
the clamp and scriber part is the 1st thing to go missing. often they are used with a dial indicator attached and then indicator zeroed to table or a gage block. not many actually scribe lines using the scale anymore.
....... the electronic digital ones that can be zeroed any where and read inch or mm are much more convenient. I have seen plenty of shops with 1/2 dozen old vernier models around that the vernier has not been used in 10 years. there are places that sell the scriber. i did not see clamp for sale although something could be made up if needed
shars.com - Single Beam Electronic Height Gauge

View attachment 116656View attachment 116657

It's missing the scriber and clamp, it should look like this.

gage-clamp.jpg

It should also be added that different dog leg scribers are used by different manufacturers. The old vernier style height gage usually has some limited adjustment; but the scriber usually has to be more or less right to begin. This often means you'll have to go back to the OEM and spend some $$$ to replace the missing scriber.

I could see a hobbyist buying a vernier height gage for cheap used (and with dual Imperial/metric scales) if they needed something really tall. But as John suggests, a decent dial version up to 18" or so, complete, should still be very inexpensive and much easier to use.

At least get a dial reading height gauge if you're going to get one.

I do find this interesting. I have used a few but have never bought a dial height gauge. Thinking in metric terms does it have a massive advantage when it comes to marking off? A normal scale one you could get within 0.1mm really easily and 0.05mm if you have a bit of experience. Do you guys generally only use dial height gauges?

Most folks, buying new, would get a digital height gauge.

Nothing wrong with verniers -- and here in the States they will often have dual US / metric scales. But even with the magnifier glass for the vernier (typically supplied; and often missing in used units) -- they simply take longer to read.

The point was more that for not much more than a crappy vernier with no scribe, the OP could get a complete dial unit, also used, that would be quicker to read.

With a " Vernier " type height gauge you find that you're lying it down to read the scale and then standing it up again to use it. Not too bad on a small gauge but not much fun if it's a four footer. Digital is obviously better.

Regards Tyrone.

I do find this interesting. I have used a few but have never bought a dial height gauge. Thinking in metric terms does it have a massive advantage when it comes to marking off? A normal scale one you could get within 0.1mm really easily and 0.05mm if you have a bit of experience. Do you guys generally only use dial height gauges?

Dial are more efficient and people make less mistakes. I've always had dial or digital except for back when I was in school.

It's no different than dial or digital calipers.

I don't understand the difficulty in reading a vertical vernier. OK, calipers tend to be read with the verner held horizontally, but for height gauges and micrometers, vertically is the natural way to read them. To be honest, I also don't see any advantage in a dial caliper or height gage over a vernier one. More complex and fragile for no added accuracy.

Digital equipment can be a lot better or not depending on the design and (often) the price.

Picked up a 'Sylvac Ultralight II' caliper from work when we closed one of the shops. 0.5thou resolution, 6 thou stated accuracy end to end and 1500mm/60" long. It's better than a tape measure when doing woodspoiling/cabinetry :D

I'm with Mark on this one, I have no idea what some people do in their workshops, but I'd think it obvious that you can tilt the height gauge to get a good reading of the scale while setting it :rolleyes5:

Yes absolutely, if you have the budget, then go digital, however a brand name digital height gauge isn't always cheap, and a vernier is a much less expensive option.

I wouldn't pay the asking price for this height gauge, not with the missing parts. If that's all you can afford, then an import is available, and while I'm loath to suggest import measuring tools (measuring equipment and taps are the two things I personally never cheap-out on), I have an import height gauge and it's fine. I sold off a heap of Mitutoyo verniers, I don't recall how much they sold for, but I would have been chuffed to have got that sort of asking price even here in Australia.

I don't think those of you who are in favor of very-nears (verniers) on a height gage ever spent many days on a surface plate doing first article and in-process inspections. Whether it is a mechanical dial type or a digital, the best feature is being able to set zero where you want it. Having the fixed zero on the plate and having to subtract the distance from the plate to zero wastes an incredible amount of time.

Not to mention my older eyes take several seconds to read what I used to be able to read at a glance from across the plate.

If all you are looking for is a rapid set surface gage to hold your indicator, very-nears will do fine.

I can't see anyone above saying their in favour or a vernier over a digital (I personally always find a dial the worst of both worlds), just that the bad wrap is often unjustified. Personally I would suggest a quality digital if the person can afford and justify it. However as stated above, they're often quite expensive. I'd have no problem in recommending a cheap vernier, but would never recommend a cheap digital. I just stopped for a cuppa after doing some marking out on a cheap vernier height gauge, as noted above, they can be set to 0.1 mm and will easily do half that. Definitely not my favourite tool to use and one day maybe I'll spring for a good digital, but in the meanwhile it works perfectly well for laying down layout lines, anything more accurate and I'd be using the DRO (indeed the only reason I'm not in this case is because it's a mod to the bracket FOR the DRO).

I don't understand the difficulty in reading a vertical vernier. OK, calipers tend to be read with the verner held horizontally, but for height gauges and micrometers, vertically is the natural way to read them. To be honest, I also don't see any advantage in a dial caliper or height gage over a vernier one. More complex and fragile for no added accuracy.

excellent points from the (I assume) under 29 crowd :D :D

I don't understand the difficulty in reading a vertical vernier. OK, calipers tend to be read with the verner held horizontally, but for height gauges and micrometers, vertically is the natural way to read them. ...<snip>...

In a word, parallax.

I have a 24 inch Starrett Vernier height gauge and yes, I tilt it so I am reading it square. I didn't even think about it, just tilted it the very first time I used it.

excellent points from the (I assume) under 29 crowd :D :D

56, with bifocal safety glasses:codger:

In a word, parallax.

I have a 24 inch Starrett Vernier height gauge and yes, I tilt it so I am reading it square. I didn't even think about it, just tilted it the very first time I used it.

Parallax isn't a problem, you just squat down to get your eye at the right height. you don't have to disturb the height gauge.
biggrin.gif

Meh ill stick with my normal height gauges... The apprentices that I help to train just before they go for their final test will be terribly confused if they see something else. Will probably take me another 30min to explain to them how it works :rolleyes5:
And this is coming from my 29 year young eyes ;)

Back