Thread: Helios calipers

Bill D is offline Titanium

Default Helios calipers

I bought a 6" dial calipers made by Helios today at a yard sale for $10. Never heard of the brand. hardened stainless steel with a fine adjustment mechanisim. Somewhat awarkward to move with no rolling wheel. Is the brand any good, seems well made but I do not know much about fine instruments. Odd that the beam has both inch and Cm scales but only one needle on the dial. So it is inch only for precision but Cm is good enough to measure a shaft or bearing to replace.
    Bill D.

Bssc is offline Aluminum

http://longislandindicator.com/p11.html

I have a couple pair in my collection, ( from the 70's and 80's) they work well and that is all I need them to do.

johnoder is offline Diamond

First dial calipers I owned. The price was right. I found them in the trash during the apprenticeship at P&WA (11/64 - 8/68). Needed a new dial lense and TLC. Hand made the new lense. Wonder if I still have these.

John Oder

Tonytn36 is online now Diamond

Those are fine German calipers. I have 150 mm vernier, 150 mm digital and 300 mm verniers that I use all the time at work. Most of our calipers at work are Helios, they certify with no issue year after year.

split tenth is offline Cast Iron

I have a 13 inch set.Stainless,made in Germany,still in wood case,still in cardboard box with Fowler printed all over it.0 to 100 to 0. 200 per rev on dial.1968, can't buy anything this good today.

split tenth is offline Cast Iron

Purchased at J.W. Donchin tool supply,4841 W Chicago Ave.Chicago Ill.The good old days.

67Cuda is offline Titanium

Yes, my first pair of dial calipers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fowler.jpg   fowler_1.jpg  

Mike C. is offline Diamond

I have an 8" heavy duty and a 4". Both are as accurate as a non-vernier mic if you are careful with your measurement.

Limy Sami is online now Diamond

FWIW;-

Long Island Indicator say they're German copies of the old Etalon, IIRC they were made in the old communist East Germany. I've a Russian 35mm SLR camera fitted with a Helios brand lens and those in the know say their lenses were nearly as good as Ziess.

Walter A is offline Titanium

The first caliper I owned also was a 6"/150 mm thumb lock vernier made by Helios. I bought it around 1966. It was several years before I found out the manufacturer because mine was bought from Sears. It's a Craftsman 40161.

It sits on my desk all the time and is used for quick measurements. One day about a year after I bought it another apprentice came in with a Helios that was exactly the same.

Since then I have obtained a small collection of Helios measuring tools but I have never run across another Craftsman caliper made in Germany by Helios.

Walter A.

Tom Lg is offline Cast Iron

Default got one just like that

Quote Originally Posted by 67Cuda View Post
    Yes, my first pair of dial calipers.
    Mine came in a wood case. I got mine in '78. My dad has a Helios vernier caliper that is older than dirt.

Mr Ron is offline Plastic

My first was a 6" Helios, model UR68 in a wooden case, made in Germany. I got it around 1961. I paid $45 for it new. I still use it. Great caliper.

stephen thomas is offline Diamond
    downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY

My dad has a Helios vernier caliper that is older than dirt.
    Hey, I kind of resemble that remark.
    13" vernier.
    Stamped Kurval Tool, Buffalo, N.Y. in a border, "made in Germany" below.
    Not 100% positive, but someone a few decades ago suggested it was Helios.

smt

overflow machine is offline Cast Iron

My first dial caliper. It was 1976 and I was told they were the best at the time. Guess they are long gone I haven't heard that name in years.

Ron

tnmgcarbide is offline Titanium

helios tools are very high quality . i have many - indicators , adj parallels , mics - they're as high quality as any brown and sharpe or starrett tools i've used ..... that said .....the calipers i have are ANCIENT , so they suffer the same shortcomings as most other 1960's models -

the 14" dial caliper has a .200/ dial , my 6" vernier caliper's 0-25 vernier is only 5/8" long and difficult to read unless it's under a very bright light .....(no provision for
    step measurement , either )
    the best tools in the world aren't much use if they're difficult to read. ( B+S and other old calipers had tiny verniers too )

Limy Sami is online now Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by overflow machine View Post
    My first dial caliper. It was 1976 and I was told they were the best at the time. Guess they are long gone I haven't heard that name in years.

Ron
    Seems they're alive n kickin Overflow Home - Helios-Preisser They say made in Germany too.

Neat Vid here Film HELIOS-PREISSER - Helios-Preisser

Been a while since I bought or saw Helios calipers but they were excellent quality. As to still being Made in Germany then that's another question. Most companies making that kind of thing outsource.