What's new
What's new

Help identifying hardware

urbanescapee

Plastic
IMG_2245.jpgIMG_2246.jpg

Please help identify this hardware. I am looking for a trade name or manufacturer so that I can order more. The bolt has no drive head, instead it operates similarly to a carriage bolt except that instead of a square hole, this bolt seats into a round hole. There's a taper under the head that wedges into the hole to provide sufficient friction to turn and tighten a nut onto the threads. This particular bolt 1/4"-20 and has the number "11" stamped on the head. Thanks for any help.

That looks pretty similar to an elevator bolt, but with the taper shank rather than square or ribs. Compare the bolt you have to the specs for this one from McMaster and see if the head is about the same. If so, then you can call some bolt suppliers with the basic ID and see if there's someone doing the taper on a "off the shelf" basis.

McMaster-Carr

It could be that it's a special, but if you need enough of them you can find someone to make more for you.

Looks like a stud used in spot welding or projection welding.

I think this is on the right track. I looked up "weld stud" on mcmaster and in the results was the closest thing to what I've got that I've seen so far. There are a still a few important differences though. The weld stud has a few protrusions in the under-side of the head to concentrate the weld formation (as seen in the image below); my fastener doesn't have that and I don't want it to. Also, the taper just below the head is not present.

93865a235p1-b01l.png

Actually, now that I look at it more. I think it IS a weld stud but the protrusions on mine are the number "11" and the surface to be spot welded is on the top of the head rather than the bottom. Now it's just a matter of finding the right manufacturer, but at least I have a trade-name now. Thanks for the help, all.

Back