What's new
What's new

Help identifying tooling

nailm1405

Plastic
Help identifying tooling - Is this a chuck of some sort?

Hi everyone.

I am new to the site and new to the the world of machining. I have to say I thoroughly enjoy reading through posts and soaking everything up. I recently acquired a lot of tooling, and it had an item I am not familiar with. I’m looking for some help identifying this tooling. I’m pretty sure it’s a chuck of some sort - maybe some kind of old collet chuck - but I can’t be certain. There are no markings on it, except for what appears to be an engraved serial number. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad14443394-CCE4-417E-8C3F-7B8A1921CFAC.jpg9D2027E9-EC00-4C3D-A24C-F54A28BE1A93.jpg4F059B6E-417F-4938-9CB0-D97D55C8626E.jpg

Last edited:
Geometric die head (or a copy of one)

Need to fix your title to be more descriptive BTW

Thanks Digger Doug. I would be happy to fix the title. What would you suggest to be more descriptive? I though I covered my question.

Now the next step, identifying which size geometric head you have there.

can't buy chasers until you figure that out.

Now that you know the name "geometric", search the archives for a posting
that has a pdf file of the head (can't recall who posted it)

Then, by measuring certain area's you'll come up with what size (and model) you
have.

FWIW, I have a few, and the markings are all very light & hard to read.

Geometric mostly put their name and size markings on the side of the head with very shallow chemical etching. They are easy to read on a new or like new head, but get more difficult with age. Once rusted, they are impossible to read. They used a spark etcher for the serial number and maybe a size/model mark and those marks can usually be seen.

The outside diameter of the head may be sufficient to identify the head size. The picture looks like it is larger than the 5/16 ,1/2 or 9/16. I am guessing it is 3/4D because it has the rough/finish lever and seems smaller than a 1D. The style is D, which is the plain, no frills model. There are several variations in the D family that add another letter or more.

I won't try to explain what a die head does, beyond saying it cuts male threads on the end of a part, usually in a turret lathe or screw machine.

Larry

Back