What's new
What's new

HELP! LeBlond Regal sudden spindle squeak and tightening

Seeders

Plastic
I have a 1969 Regal 15" that I put into my shop this last July. It's been under moderate use the last month or so and usually running at the higher speeds. Today I was using it and I noticed a new sound. While shutting it down I notice the spindle squeaking. When in neutral it feels much tighter than it was previously. I'm worried that one of the spindle bearings is starting to seize up. Unfortunately I can get to the right head stock bearing (which is where I think the problem is coming from) without dismantling a lot of the headstock. It's been properly oiled and the headstock oil is at the required level.

Anyone has any advice or ideas as to how to diagnose the issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can't help much, but I don't think rolling bearings usually go out with a squeak, that is more likely some sort of dry bronze bushing, or maybe a shifter fork collar that's not getting any lube for some reason. Definitely a reason to take the cover off and have a good look around inside. Look for any sort of metallic fines coming from somewhere. Don't keep on running it and hoping it goes away.

Shift the feed direction lever (if there is one on the headstock) to neutral position (feed output gear quits turning) to eliminate that part of the system being the issue. Roll the spindle over and see if that makes any diff.

It's the manual shift version and not the servo shift model. The electric brake is not in use as I have it running using a VFD drive.

I pulled the cover and unfortunately couldn't see anything that could be the issue. It has seemed to stop after I pulled the cover, removed the chuck and reseated it. Can't imagine why that would have helped at all or even if it did. I have one more small project to finish unfortunately so I'll have to run it a little more. Hoping I can finish that up and find the issue once I have some more time. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's something simple and maybe I just need a little more oil in the bath.

Check that the brake is not dragging unintendedly. From the few brake motors I have seen, power is required to release the brake, hence the brake is actually a spring loaded mechanical system. Without power, the brake is on, not off. Don't know how that might affect your system with the VFD and how much of the controls you bypassed.

Interesting thought. The spindle spins freely in neutral and in gear so I don't think the brake is on. Pretty sure it's an electric brake and not a physical mechanical system. I'll do some research on that to be 100% sure though. The brake system on the lathe is completely disconnected. The VFD is powering the motor only and goes straight to it.

It's seems to have gone away after fiddling with it a little bit. Not sure how or why but I'm assuming something wasn't getting the oil it needed in the headstock somehow. I'll be keeping a close eye on it though and keep poking around.

How cold is it in your shop now? My motor bearing only tarted to howl when the temperature went below 50 or so, inside the shop. Maybe you need thinner oil for winter temperatures?
I installed new motor bearings and the noise went away at all temperatures.
Bill D

The shop is a pretty consistent temperature in the winter, around 65 degs. I haven't had the problem since so I think it was the headstock bearings not getting the oil they needed while running hard and fast during a long day. I think I may just have to keep an eye on my levels while doing similar. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's that simple. Thanks for the thought though!

It's the manual shift version and not the servo shift model. The electric brake is not in use as I have it running using a VFD drive.

I pulled the cover and unfortunately couldn't see anything that could be the issue. It has seemed to stop after I pulled the cover, removed the chuck and reseated it. Can't imagine why that would have helped at all or even if it did. I have one more small project to finish unfortunately so I'll have to run it a little more. Hoping I can finish that up and find the issue once I have some more time. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's something simple and maybe I just need a little more oil in the bath.

Can't be, all the x perts who have never run or owned one say only the servo shift has problems!

Check that the brake is not dragging unintendedly. From the few brake motors I have seen, power is required to release the brake, hence the brake is actually a spring loaded mechanical system. Without power, the brake is on, not off. Don't know how that might affect your system with the VFD and how much of the controls you bypassed.

The brake needs power to work. It is not a brake motor, the brake is on the spindle.

Back