What's new
What's new

Help removing bezel and cover from Mitutoyo height gage.

jkopel

Stainless
Like the title says, does anyone know for sure how to remove the dial from an old height gage. I need to repair it and would rather not trash the bezel since Mitutoyo does not appear to have parts for this old guy.
80ce0c9449e3686277a1f748e2185382.jpg

Not sure if it's in there but I have found tons of information on fixing gauges on here. Used to be a section just on how to remove the crystals and bezels. Can't seem to find it now but haven't really dug around. Worth looking. Hope this helps.

27 : Long Island Indicator Service : Sales, Repairs and Spare Parts

Thanks I looked at their site without luck. But... with the help of precision instrument repair on instagram I got it off. There are 2 little springs one at 11 o’clock and one at 4 o’clock.

Thanks I looked at their site without luck. But... with the help of precision instrument repair on instagram I got it off. There are 2 little springs one at 11 o’clock and one at 4 o’clock.

Does not exactly apply to me right now, but a couple pics and how you released the springs might be useful additions to this thread for future reference. If you have the time...

Does not exactly apply to me right now, but a couple pics and how you released the springs might be useful additions to this thread for future reference. If you have the time...

Was in the middle of something when I had to stop and fix this. So no pictures, but it is fairly straight forward once you know the magic. There is a tiny hole on the bezel. Turn bezel until the hole is at 11 o’clock and look in hole. You should see a shiny wire parallel to the bezel. That is one leg of the spring. Get a piece of stiff wire and push the spring down until you can gently lever the bezel out. Rotate the hole to 4 o’clock and repeat. Pay attention to where the indicator needle is!

I used to repair B&S dial calipers when they'd skip a tooth. Just used a suction cup to pull the crystal out of the bezel.

Back