What's new
What's new

Help Troubleshooting/sourcing long taper pin / reamer

MAG LAB

Plastic
Howdy,

A while back i noticed our Millrite vertical mill developing a chatter/flex which i tracked down the the nod pivot in the head. After disassembly i discovered some foolery had gone on in the mills past that involved either the poor repair of or cutting of some taper pin holes that fixed a ground 3" shaft into the mast/neck of the mill on which the head is clamped to and allows the head to nod.

Two taper pin holes had mismatched tapers cut in them, and two others appeared to be attempts at additions. The trouble here is that the length of the taper in the casting is over 5" and i am unable to track down any reamers that cover that span so i can cut a uniform taper. I have already tried and failed to match the mismatched tapers with a #5 taper reamer i welded to a shaft in order to be use since the top of the reamer fell below the top of the hole

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me either track down a taper pin reamer that spans a #6-#4 taper or come up with some solution that would fix the ground shaft in the casting.

A while back we got a standard size vertical mill to replace this hobby sized one, but wasn't motivated to move clean and hook it up until now. The hope is to fix the small one to working condition so we can sell or exchange it for some tooling, but i wouldnt feel right giving someone a broken mill.

Attached are pictures of the head nod pivot point, assembled.
KZMinVX.jpg
rjI7uwu.jpg

Back