What's new
What's new

here's a machine shop related website featuring toolmaking

Forrest Addy

Diamond
This is an unsolicited plug and review to advance what I think is a worthwhile toolmaker's website:

Solid Rock Machine Shop Inc.
- YouTube

The presenter is Steve Barton, a Michigan based toolmaker of considerable experience. He seems to specialize in precision grinding and working to small tenths tolerance. His videos to date take up basic project involving high precision, in-process checks with basic tools (and a few fancy ones,) use of tooling, DIY tooling, some heat treating, etc. Not much new except for the degree of precision and he gives us a peek into the toolmaker's trade. It's always informative to walk the other guy's hunting grounds.

He's a careful worker yet the work moves right along. He's competent and efficient despite the high-falutin tolerances and there lies lessons for us all. His content and presentation is working up to equal the better machine shop videos to be found on YouTube.

Even if you never work to toolmaker's tolerances or hardened steel or grind features to complex shapes accurately without fuss or bother, this website should interest you. I'm a retired production machinist specializing in large machine tools and I found much in Solid Rock Machine Shop to interest me.

Back