What's new
What's new

Hermann Schmidt Edge Finders

coyotekid

Cast Iron
I called Hermann Schmidt today to order a couple edge finders, and much to my disappointment they are no longer selling them.

Anybody know where I could purchase one or two?

Wow they must have *just* stopped making them. I bought one less than 6 months ago. I haven't done a direct comparison test with my Starrett edge finders but... so far... I haven't noticed any difference.

-DU-

According to the friendly gal that answered the phone, they were handmade by a gentleman for H.S. (I got the idea that they weren't actually made in house.)

She said they've tried other vendors, but the quality just wasn't there, so they decided it would be better to drop the product than sell an inferior quality piece.

I screwed up... I've been planning to order one for months now and never got around to it. Then I passed one up on eBay a couple weeks ago because it was only $5 cheaper than new, and I figured I could just order a new one directly.

Crap!!:willy_nilly:

By my test the Schmidt edge finder does give better and more reliable results.

The larger contact faces provide a more predictable kick action and result is an action that happens at the same deflection more often than my Starrett 827A.

Do lots of prototype work and use the edge finder on my FP4NC Deckel and when moving using the MPG on .0004" steps, the Schmidt will just repeat better than the Starrett.....

Sorry to hear that they are no longer made.
Cheers Ross

Let me guess, when you show up a funeral, after everybody says nice things about the deceased, you stand up and say-

"Well he was just a man, there wasn't any magic"

Paul T.

Great analogy :rolleyes5:. Maybe try a little harder next time.

I'm not knocking Schmidt, I've got some of their tools. It's not like they stopped selling edge finders because they were making too much money. Starrett edge finders repeat just fine. They are more than good enough for any part you're going to use any edge finder on.

The larger contact faces provide a more predictable kick action and result is an action that happens at the same deflection more often than my Starrett 827A.

Do lots of prototype work and use the edge finder on my FP4NC Deckel and when moving using the MPG on .0004" steps, the Schmidt will just repeat better than the Starrett.....

Cheers Ross

I concur. I hope they see fit to make them again in the future.

Cheers Ross

You're comparing edge finders by making .0004 steps?

Wasn't the son of Herman Schmidt a member here? I remember seeing him posting maybe a year ago, I tried a member search but I did not find him.

On a side note Lost in LA sells edge finders on here in the Tooling section occasionally.

Mr. Welden, I've got two of the Schmidt edge finders and like others have found that they just flat work better than Starrett's or any other edge finders I've used. Its not surprising, when you examine them its clear they are ground much more accurately than other edgefinders.

If that difference isn't important to you for how you use them, that's fine.

It just seems you always like to drop your bummer attitude on everybody anytime you get a chance, why don't you give it a rest, its not a positive contribution to this forum.

Paul T.

Mr. Welden, I've got two of the Schmidt edge finders and like others have found that they just flat work better than Starrett's or any other edge finders I've used. Its not surprising, when you examine them its clear they are ground much more accurately than other edgefinders.

If that difference isn't important to you for how you use them, that's fine.

It just seems you always like to drop your bummer attitude on everybody anytime you get a chance, why don't you give it a rest, its not a positive contribution to this forum.

Paul T.

They flat work better but you don't give any numbers? They work better how? They're ground more accurately in what way? Sounds like BS to me.

My opinion that A starrett edge finder is more than good enough is a positive contribution to the forum.

Do you really feel the need to complain about some guy on the internet who has a different opinion than you about edge finders? :bawling: Who cares? Don't read my posts if you're not interested in what I have to say. Not real hard to do, I do it all the time. No one is forcing you to read.

Let me guess, when you show up a funeral, after everybody says nice things about the deceased, you stand up and say-

"Well he was just a man, there wasn't any magic"

Hermann Schmidt Edgefinder... I knew it well. A finer finder of edges there will never be again. :bawling:

RIP

Do you really feel the need to complain about some guy on the internet who has a different opinion than you about edge finders? :bawling: Who cares? Don't read my posts if you're not interested in what I have to say. Not real hard to do, I do it all the time. No one is forcing you to read.

Thanks for the suggestion. You'll be on my ignore list in a few seconds. :cheers:

I will give some numbers that I am sure of and someone can compare them to whatever edgefinder they want.

I am driving cross country so I don't have the edgefinder with me, and I can only give numbers in one direction.

It is a 3/8 shank and the mating surface is maybe 5/8.

Wright and something, or something and Wright. Nice bulb from the 3/8 to 5/8 ODs. I can check in 2 days.

Anyway..........on a brand new Hardinge HLCH, DRO that would split a tenth, it would repeat time after time to the same last digit.

New Hardinge graranteed spindel runout of I think .000020.

1200 RPM

Did it about 20 times or so.......same number.

Couldn't get on the Moore Jig Grinder at the time and forgot.

Thems the numbers I have for sure.

My $.02

And as to Hermann Schmit's products;

The worst I ever got was wonderful!

Knew a few women like that too.......wait what were we talking about.

And I will start looking for one of his edgefinders.

Back