What's new
What's new

Hex Key/Allen Wrench/Torx Organization

nerdyrcdriver

Aluminum
What do you guys prefer for making sure you have the correct tool for the job? Replacing inserts and generally anything else that requires any of these tools is usually done with the closest thing that can grab, but usually not the right tool for the job.

What do you do to make sure nobody uses the wrong tool for the job?

Are there any preferred sets of these tools? I can't picture anything revolutionary in the world of basic hand tools, but you never know.

That's too bad.

I like these.

Wiha 79245 Torx(R) Bit Selector Set with Auto Lock Magnetic Bit Holder | Wiha Tools USA

Can be a little bulky for some facemills but work great on most tools and prevent stripped bolts from using, "whatever is near by".

Teryk

That set looks nice. All of the Wiha stuff that I have used in the past has been really nice. My only concern with that set is that the individual bits may walk away.

This is a student shop with about 30 people that use it consistently when there isn't a class in there.

I just picked up this set on black friday for $3 (typical impulse buy while waiting in line). Sets like these are great because the individual bits can't walk away. But they suck because they make terrible handles unless you happen to be using the middle tool. Also doesn't solve people switching metric and standard. If any of our tooling actually had labels I could look up what they are supposed to be. Though most of the screws are a lost cause at this point anyway.
https://www.menards.com/main/footer...-key-sets-3-piece/p-1488910294108-c-13917.htm

Every machine should have a dedicated set of things like Allen wrenches that are used regularly. Color coding them with a shot of paint helps to prevent trial and error.

Do you just put the paint color on the tool somewhere? I can't imagine paint on the screw itself working well.

Do you just put the paint color on the tool somewhere? I can't imagine paint on the screw itself working well.

You paint the shank with enamel. People soon learn that the blue wrench fits this and the yellow one fits that. It works as well for handled tools as it does for L keys. A small chart placed on the machine can help if needed and if you don't want to tape it on printable refrigerator magnet type stock is readily available.

Even in my home shop I have multiples so I don't have to cross the room for a commonly used wrench or driver.

I did make two stands for my inch and metric hex keys to leave out by the machines that are used regularly. To be honest though I don't think there will ever be a perfect solution to the problem? Every time I think I got it figured out something new comes along.
The other day I bought a left hand tool holder for the lathe, have the right hand that is one of my favorites with plenty of inserts. Same manufacturer and direct from the page with the other hand only to discover this one has a screw that uses a Torx Plus driver instead of a plain Torx? Great, now I have a set of holders that need a totally different driver for each one.
Dan

Why would you want to organize them???

I thoroughly enjoy the random half hours of completely unproductive time running around
trying to find a 7/32 allen wrench.. Especially when I know there are at least 10 of
them within 15 feet, and I used 3 of them this morning and saw at least 4 others.

Is the real world (what they are paying in tuition
for YOU to train them to work in) going to have color coded
fasteners and tools ?

Supposed to be learning going on, not mindless
button pushing and wrenching.

The T handle hex wrench sets I have are red for imperial and blue for metric. For smaller L keys I found dual standard boxed sets that were black for metric and sliver for imperial. Torx drivers have size numbers on them.

Most things live in boxes with either keep-in-order clips or correctly sized cut out inserts so stuff goes back in the right place and right order. Need to get tail into gear, find some more boxes and do all the loose ones. Boxes beat clip rods et al because you can pile them up to go from cupboard to bench.

Clive

Students??

Classes??

Why not have a class on the proper selection, use and care of hand tools?

Millennials . . . :rolleyes5: :nutter: :willy_nilly:

As Bob so eloquently put it.....My greatest pet-peeve is searching for shit that I know is there, should be there, was there, wanted to be there, was attached there, had a designated slot, spot, drawer, hole, marking, whatever else.

The answer is; Get your/their own, implement a 1 time borrowing policy (then you/they know, you/they need to get your/their own) and deal with the consequences of losing or ruining your own crap.

REALLY the answer is; I have never seen a really good solution, some jack ass is inevitably going to try to use a T15 on a T20+ screw and have to deal with the consequences and hopefully learn from the mistake.

R

Back