What's new
What's new

Hitachi Seiki questions, manual and parts needed

klysons

Plastic
This is my first thread on this site, and while I do not like asking for something on the first thread, I have exhausted all means online and on foot trying to find information.

I have an old, but decent Hitachi Seiki 4A ram style turret lathe, and have come to an impass.

It does not have threading or taper attachments, and I can not figure out how to unlock the bed to use a taper attachment, if I could find one that fit.

If anyone knows how to do this, or if there is some way other than a compound slide vise, I am open to suggestion.

So, I am looking for a manual, taper and threading attachments, compound slide vise, and an idler gear for the lathe.

Or, at least a nudge in the right direction. Mori seiki has nothing for me.

Another problem is I can only power the x or y tables separately, and the turret at the same time as x or y, making it very difficult to do even simple tapers. If you have ever tried to turn an aluminum funnel for reloading rifle cartridges by hand, it takes way too much time. I likely have $250.00 in time on the 2 funnels I have cranked out, on this lathe LOL.

Can anyone help me?

When I learn the site, I will have some interesting stuff listed, I have a 30 station 50" 50 ton turret punch for sale, an aluminum melting furnace with 16# crucible that I don't use, etc.

fyi hitachi 4A

klysons,
The 4-A Hitachi Seiki turret lathe was brought into this country when turret lathes were still being used extensivly, this machine was designed to take No. 4 Warner & Swasey tooling, and everything fit from te Swasey. As a result, Warner & Swasey filed a law suit against Hitachi Seiki, I do not remeber the outcome. They also made this machine in a peg board machine ( an early atempt at an automatic turret lathe, this was short lived, as N C started to take hold, and then CNC. Your lathe was never intended to have a taper attachment, however some of the Warner & Swasey No 4's had them, also some of the Warner & Swaseys had Lynn drives for threading. I hope that this helps, Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

It is comforting to get a little more information on the lathe, and disconcerting knowing that it is basically going to be an as-is unit forever.

I will keep digging, and if anyone else can help, I appreciate it.

I almost bought one last year I wish I had because I ended up with a worn out pile of a Bardons and Oliver. Thise are real nice machines.

I have seen turret lathes set up with a hyd tracer they work real well can do your with no problem you can find one on eBay I run 3 of them with out a hitch

Hey everyone ,
I’m selling off my grandfathers estate and he has one of these machines. We are located in Northern Illinois. If anyone is interested in buying it or any parts on it let me know ! I can make a new thread with pics.

Back