Machinery Dealer funny

dkmc

Diamond
Got a spam email this morning:

(1) Used 430-18 CINCINNATI Horizontal Milling Machine,
S/N 310584P77-0001, New 1977
---From Aerospace Facility---

Specifications:

Working Surface of T-Slotted Table:...................................................................................... 18" x 80"
Table Travel - Longitudinal:............................................................................................................ 42"
- Cross:........................................................................................................................ 14"
Vertical Travel of Knee:................................................................................................................... 22"
Table Feeds - Longitudinal & Cross:.................................................................. (32) 3/8" – 90" / Min.
- Vertical:...................................................................................... (32) 3/16" – 45" / Min.
Rapid Traverse - Longitudinal & Cross:............................................................................. 150" / Min.
- Vertical:...................................................................................................... 75" / Min.
Spindle Speeds: ................................................................................................ (24) 16 – 1600 RPM
Spindle Taper: ....................................................................................................................... No. 50
Spindle Motor: ............................................................................................................... 30 HP 3/60
Overarm Motor: .................................................................................................................. 5 HP 3/60
Overall Dimensions (Approx.):............................................................................ 104" x 124" x 77" H
Weight (Est.): .............................................................................................................. 16,650 Lbs.

Equipped With:

Universal Vertical Head
Acu-Rite 3-Axis Digital Readout
Power Draw Bar
Arbor Support
6-Way Power Rapid Traverse
Coolant Pump & Piping
Backlash Eliminator

F.O.B. Chicago, IL
WAS $19,500
NOW ONLY $10,000 NET !!

altman mill.jpg

Saw a similar machine on craigslist for $500 and curiosity caused me to stop in for a look. Somehow an old guy had managed to get this huge old Gorton into a daylight basement shop with a gravel driveway. I told the would-be seller, "It'll cost you $500 to get that hauled to the scrap yard, where they'll give you $400 for it.

jack vines

I recently passed on a larger K&T that was in perfect showroom shape for $500. It's neat, it's pretty, I like it but how is it going to make me any money? If I had a huge shop I would collet old iron but I don't.

Huh? I have a Van Norman #2 medium 10x50 table, had it since 1981. Paid $400 for it back then. Use it for repairs on gearboxes, pumps, in house maintenance, etc. I made a 1-off piece on it back in winter, repair part for a machine tool. Job really not suited to do on a CNC machine. That job worked out close to $150/hr. And now that it's recently got a DRO on it, it's even more fun to use. It's all about how you approach the customers problem and solution.

Huh? I have a Van Norman #2 medium 10x50 table, had it since 1981. Paid $400 for it back then. Use it for repairs on gearboxes, pumps, in house maintenance, etc. I made a 1-off piece on it back in winter, repair part for a machine tool. Job really not suited to do on a CNC machine. That job worked out close to $150/hr. And now that it's recently got a DRO on it, it's even more fun to use. It's all about how you approach the customers problem and solution.

I didn't say money can't be made with one, I was referring to myself. At the end of the day another CNC machine is going to make me the most money cause it's going to stay busy all day every day. There are far more of these beasts out there than people who can make a living with them which is why they are so cheap.

I recently passed on a larger K&T that was in perfect showroom shape for $500. It's neat, it's pretty, I like it but how is it going to make me any money? If I had a huge shop I would collet old iron but I don't.

...snipped... There are far more of these beasts out there than people who can make a living with them which is why they are so cheap.

I need a good :dopeslap: fairly often. :)

That looks like a high school paint job not aerospace to me. I did not know there was any aerospace in Chicago, ever. I thought most was in California or Texas.
I know the space shuttle and Appolo were made in California.
Bill D

I think aerospace is a term used to imply only cut aluminum and plastic and it was kept very clean and serviced regularly. As opposed to cut cast iron with the heavist cuts possible, never cleaned or lubed unti lsomething broke.
Bill D

Back