What's new
What's new

Hollands vise

KLUETCH

Plastic
Im new to practical machinist, and looking for information on a vise i was given by my father in law. It is a hollands 54 h., made in erie, pa. That is about all i know about it. My father in law worked for the railroad and was given it when he retired. The vise is quite large at 15" tall, jaws 5" wide, 6" deep throat, opens 6" wide and weighs about 150#. Any help would be great, thanks ahead of time

Can't tell you much, other than the fact that I have a smaller Hollands vise. Mine is about 35-40lbs, 4"wide jaws, but opens to over 6". I bought mine on Ebay and was NOT a happy camper when I opened the box. There was no way that little vise could open to 6". Well, it does, lol. It's a really nice little vise, well made, clamps solidly, and even has a little hardy hole and a little cold fuller with it (that'll eat a knuckle up if you start filing without removing it!). I keep it on the machine shop bench for filing and holding stuff, saving my cheap crappy Chinese radial vise out in the bay for beating on and welding.

If you have a 150lb version of this vise, it'll be a beast.

Go to the "General Archive" section below this one and find the "show us your vise" thread.

Just reading this thread, & thought my question might fit in. Where are parts available--or are they available for these vises? I have an older Hollands 3 1/2 H vise that needs a screw & nut. Anyone have info?? Thanks Jim Brown

I have only seen a very few Hollands vises, so I would imagine they are no longer around. I have made a new nut for a friend's Craftsman vise, though. Not hard, as it is not a super precision thread or anything. As for the screw, most are acme or square threads. If you have a good lathe and mill, go for it.

Holland vise

Hollands Manufacturing Co., Erie, PA. USA, It was a company that primarily made industrial casting and is no longer in business. It is listed on the web at Foundries of The Past and Present. Sounds like you got a good deal.

Hollands Vise

I have a Hollands vise that I bought from a local industrial "junk" store. It measures 8" across the jaws and opens to about 16". It has the number 16 cast in the side. It weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 350lbs. My friends all laughed at me when I brought it home but now they all want to use it when they have a project too large for their "big" vises. The handle is 1" diameter 24" long and was bent when I got it, and it was not the original handle. This vise is a true work horse.

Back