What's new
What's new

Home brew auto down feed on surface grinder

SBAER

Hot Rolled
I need a 3/4" wide, 1/16" deep slot ground in about 800 ferrite magnets (magnetized condition). I have done 20 at a time on a surface grinder with a diamond wheel but it takes forever. I could line 10 of them up on the J&S540 surface grinder and use a 3/4" wide wheel and let it go if the thing would autofeed down, but it does not have that feature.

Anyone ever add a stepper motor and a plc to a surface grinder to get it to downfeed automatically? Anyone (Ontario, North Eastern US) all set up to do a job like this?

I think it's the classic catch 22. Yes, you could add a stepper or servo motor and a PLC. By the time you figure that out, you could have the job done the old fashioned way.

What kind of machine would that be? The ferrite magnets are some form of ceramic, super brittle, non-conductive. Do you know somebody with a high precision diamond wire saw?

Any wire EDM. Pretty sure silicon carbide would cut it. Elderly Elox and such would be perfect, you only need 3 axes.

Nope. Build a fixture for as many as you can put on the inside of a square and go do something else while it cuts anywhere from 20-40, then reload.

It is very possible to use a simple chip/stepper driver to auto feed down. I have programmed an Arduino to coordinate control of all three axes on my SG. But, as pointed out, there is a significant learning curve involved in learning the programming process.

There are several bare-bones embedded chips that allow such programming. Arduino, raspberry pi are two examples.

Denis

Nope. Build a fixture for as many as you can put on the inside of a square and go do something else while it cuts anywhere from 20-40, then reload.

I own a WEDM. It is cool.... but I wouldn't tell someone to go buy, move, set up, fix, maintain, feed, house, etc...an "old one" for 1 job they can already do with a simple surface grinder.

Maybe I misunderstood and you meant just farm it out to someone who has one.

Back