What's new
What's new

Chuck removal 1960's Arboga E413 drill press?

Luke Rickert

Hot Rolled
Anyone know how the chuck is held in the spindle on this thing? Is it just the taper on the the end of the spindle (inside the current chuck) or is there an MT3 etc in there somewhere? I don't see any way to access a taper inside the spindle (no slot etc) but would like to put a keyless Albrecht on. I just got the machine into the shop and it looks to be a nice, the surface rust on the table came right off. Only one small hole in the table so I am guessing it hasn't seem much use in the last 50+ years. I changed the cords as the outer insulation was deteriorated and it runs smoothly on 400V 3ph power.
IMG_20160926_095549150.jpgIMG_20160926_095650219.jpgIMG_20160926_164707681.jpg

I just remembered the company is still in business. I called them this morning but unfortunately they couldn't find this model in their records. The guy said it is probably a chuck mount taper on the end of the spindle rather than an internal morse taper. Since it is a Jacobs chuck on there right now it is probably a Jacobs taper which would not fit the Albrecht chucks I have and I am not going to go buy a new one for 500 bucks when I have a perfectly good keyed chuck on there already. Never mind the issues with getting it apart after half a century. I glued a strong magnet on the side of the machine to store the key and will see how that works out.

If anyone knows this model I would be thrilled to get some info but that seems unlikely given the rarity of the machine.

thanks

Luke

I just remembered the company is still in business. I called them this morning but unfortunately they couldn't find this model in their records. The guy said it is probably a chuck mount taper on the end of the spindle rather than an internal morse taper. Since it is a Jacobs chuck on there right now it is probably a Jacobs taper which would not fit the Albrecht chucks I have and I am not going to go buy a new one for 500 bucks when I have a perfectly good keyed chuck on there already. Never mind the issues with getting it apart after half a century. I glued a strong magnet on the side of the machine to store the key and will see how that works out.

If anyone knows this model I would be thrilled to get some info but that seems unlikely given the rarity of the machine.

thanks

Luke

Forgive me if I am missing something but why wouldn't an Albrecht chuck fit a Jacobs Taper? Albrecht makes chucks with Jacobs Tapers, I have an Albrecht on my JT-33 drill press. In any event, good luck, looks like a nice drill press.

Joe

Joe, there is no issue (other than the price tag) with buying an Albrecht chuck that will fit, the issue is that the ones I have already will not fit and as the current chuck is functionally great it is hard to justify spending a significant amount of money on another chuck just to get rid of the key. If the spindle accepted a MT2 or MT3 I could use my current Albrechts but it appears only to be the larger Arboga's with XY tables do that.

This drill is great, so much more solid than a cheap Chinese or even a modern Flott etc. It was not bargain but it is in great shape and should last another 50 years without issue :) There is something humorous about a very industrial sounding two speed 400V, three phase motor with only half a hp but it sure works well. All my machines are 400V 3PH so it is actually easier this way.

Luke

There is no manual, the company doesn't even have records of the machine model. Searching online I found one mention of the model in a post from 2001 and actually tracked down the person who happens to be in Norway. He confirms it is a male taper on the end of the spindle.

These are cool machines, there are larger versions with xy tables and heavier builds that are mill/drill machines that don't suck :) this a is a two speed motor with a two speed gearbox for 4 total. Nominally 400 to 3000 rpm so 2mm to 13mm in steel.

Luke

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

Back