What's new
What's new

Homemade dust collector plans.

bgmnn1

Aluminum
Does any recall seeing plans for a home made dust collector, using a steel drum to capture the dust, and with the vacuum placed away from the work area to reduce the noise level in the work area?

I have been searching and have not been able to find the article.

Thanks in advance,

bgmnn

have you read Bill Pentz's site?

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

makes a very compelling case the almost all of the diy dust collection systems out there might help keep the shop clean but do nothing to protect you from health hazards. I'd pony up and by the Felder unit or make Bills design, I think those cloth bag things are a joke unless you're wearing a respirator

PS becuase you said home made i lept to the conclusion it was for wood, apologies if its for grinding dust and such.

There was a post on Chaski where I showed my system and talked about it
Since you cannot see any pictures there, without being a member (Text is OK )
I am repasting the pictures here.
It is really a simple setup to do
My Shop Vac is located out side and when I poured the shop floor, I put 2" PVC under the
concrete, with a coupling in the middle of the floor. Since the back of my lot is 3 feet lower
then my shop floor, the pipe sloopes down to the vac. I have never had a blockage !
In my former shop, I had a vertical pipe go to the ceiling and then out through the wall and
back down. That works quite well, except I didn't like pipe there.
Rich
Info at
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?t=79344&highlight=

Updated in the next post below for those who do not wish to visit the abpve link

ShopVacuumContainer.jpg

ShopVacuumContainer2.jpg

For those who don't want to search through the above link, I am reposting what I said
in that thread
Simple Shop Vac System with silent operation

I made one from a grease drum
My Vacuum system is outside to keep noise down, but my drum keeps almost all the dirt and chips inside for cleaning every 6 months.
I soft soldered a 2 inch copper pipe tangent to the drum.
I took the cover, with the center suction (PVC) and mounted a coffee can deflector, so the chips spin around, but lighter air and a bit of dust will go down and then up inside, while the heavier chips and dirt follow the wall to the bottom.

The drum is not conical, like most collectors, but does not need to be. I added a heavy weighted air flow restrainer at the bottom . When the air hits it, it slows down and drops the chips. The retrainer looks like a flag, and I leave it with about one inch space from the inside wall, just to add drag.
The photo shows it at a angle, but I generally have it at right angles to flow.
This unit comes apart very easy using the original barrel ring clamp,and because the suction pipe is in the lid with push fit PVC ( No Glue !) I can pick up the drum to dump it.
I have to remember to retrieve the restrainer however, even if it is only scrap.

My Vacuum outside is a cheapo Sears shopVac, ( 3/4 HP ?)
The inside chip/dust collector takes out the vast majority of stuff, so the shopvac outside maintains a high level of suction for a long time
It has one of those corrigated filters ( 200 sq ft area ?),not a bag !
Rich

have you read Bill Pentz's site?

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

makes a very compelling case the almost all of the diy dust collection systems out there might help keep the shop clean but do nothing to protect you from health hazards. I'd pony up and by the Felder unit or make Bills design, I think those cloth bag things are a joke unless you're wearing a respirator

PS becuase you said home made i lept to the conclusion it was for wood, apologies if its for grinding dust and such.

I played around with the excel sheet and some poster board, it doesn't seem to hard to make. Getting the parts to fit cleanly inside after the assembly in metal might take a little elbow grease, I think.

The one on my dyson vacuum cleaner works really well, for what its worth.

Back