What's new
What's new

Need reco's to tap a zillion blind M2x0.4 holes in 6061

Finegrain

Diamond
Hi guys,

I have a series of parts coming up that have blind M2x0.4 holes. I know how to do these slow, but would like ideas on how to do them fast, and preferably no chips packed into the hole :smoking:

Machine is a regular old knee mill, with a 30X Tapmatic.

I didn't see any spiral flute in a tap this small in the usual catalogs.

Form tap? Have no experience with these. Seems like a great concept, but am wondering if they'd actually work, at this size, in 6061.

Like I said, I'd like to tap these fast as I have a zillion of them to do.

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

Buy a form tap. Try it. Have not done holes this small in 6061. But in 1/8 and 3/ 16 a form tap is sweet. Note that the hole for a form tap IS NOT the same as a cutting tap. Certainly nice to not have chips to contend with.

Denis

Form tap, set the clutch on the head as light as you can and don't use cutting oil! Use forming oil ie like slide way oil or ideally the "Practical Machinist's CNC Sections all time Favourite Tapping oil" Moly oil.

Make sure what ever tap you get is suitably coated for alu (NOT GOLD TIN) and being a blind hole you ideally want a oil relief grove in it. Gradualy bump the feed up as you get the feel for it. Above all don't forget form taps need a diffrent hole size and that's gotta be held to a pretty good tolerance on smaller - finer threads!

Back