What's new
What's new

Hotel recommendation South Chicago?

JB Bergman

Hot Rolled
I have to pick up a Crystal Lakes universal grinder in Blue Island IL. Being from Memphis, I have no idea about south chicago. I might need to get some sleep. What areas should I avoid? I don't mind staying south 60 miles or so. Anyone from this area?
Sorry for the OT, JB Bergman

I would avoid any hotels north of I-80 and I-94.
Avoid areas between 394 and I-57, east to west and north to I-80. There are some decent areas there but..........
Avoid Gary unless you are passing by on I-94.
Stay with name brand hotels, Comfort, Clarion, Holiday Inn Express, ect.....

I would avoid any hotels north of I-80 and I-94.
Avoid areas between 394 and I-57, east to west and north to I-80. There are some decent areas there but..........
Avoid Gary unless you are passing by on I-94.
Stay with name brand hotels, Comfort, Clarion, Holiday Inn Express, ect.....

Good advice here IIRC. A good general rule would be to drive south until there is no more graffiti and then start looking for a hotel. LOL. :)

I would make note of motels at or south of Kankakee on your way north. Then depending on how late you leave Blue Island, and I will make the suggestion of leaving before dark you can decide how far south you feel like driving before stopping. Mapquest shows the trip from Memphis to Blue Island is 515 miles and just over 8 hours of driving time. With stops and getting into south chicago you are looking at 10+ hours. I think if it was me I would make my overnight stop on the way north then head into Blue Island before traffic got heavy and long before the natives reawake for another day of mischief and mayhem. Then on your south bound trip home you can decide if you want to make it all in one day or make another stop. At least you will be in more friendly territory.

tim

I have made a couple of high speed runs from Memphis to Chicago and back. Leave about 10 at night. You will be in Chicago area around 6- 7 in the morning. Pick up and head back. I have always done it "nonstop", but if you do get tired, you can stop well away from Chicago for sleep.
Johnl

Authur
Not that you are that scary up there, its that I am too cheap to pay for a hotel room and waste a days time when I can drive it in a long day.
John L

Thanks to all

Thanks guys, as a "southern boy" I've never driven up to Chicago. Thats why I posted this.
If it wasn't for the fact that I've lusted over one of these little grinders, I'd probably stay home!
Thanks for all the info, I may do like JohnL says and do the turn and burn, I'll post a picture or two when it is safe in the shop.

Thanks again you guys are great, JB Bergman

"Here, you may need this" he said.

Don't stay in the dive I once did about 10 years ago right up the block from wherever Armstrong Tools is or was. Checked in very late, really groggy from travelling, had to be at the customer's for 7AM meeting. Paid the clerk, he handed me the room key and a can of air freshener. I asked what for. I found out what for.

There are some good places to stop along I-57 on the way up. Kankakee has already been mentioned. That's about 45 minutes to an hour south, depending on traffic and the weight of your foot. I stayed at a Holiday Inn at the Manhattan/Monee exit a few years back. That was a nice place that seemed to cater to business travelers. Only about a half hour south of US Cellular field, if that. There's also a lot of stuff at the Bradley/Bourbonais exit (Bradley is the hometown of Lindsey Technical Books, BTW). Further out, there's Champaign-Urbana, where I live, but that's a good 2.5 to 3 hours south. Makes for a good gas/rest stop on the way though. Have a good trip!

Stuart

Trip

Hey Ned, that's funny! What kind of hotel is that?

To everyone else, I was planning on taking last fri. and sat. off to make the trip. I got a call from Super Dave, wed. afternoon. He was coming through Memphica on thursday on his way to Maridian Ms. thursday. Dave picked up the grinder, we transferred it to my truck friday morning and it is now at my shop!
Dave and I got a burger at a local dive and hung out. He helps alot of other guys out. All around good guy!
So thanks to everyone for their help on this post.
JohnL send me a PM, we live in the same town, figure we should meet up.
JB Bergman

This just reminded me of a trip thru Chicago in the 70s to see IMTS.
We were driving through what we found out was a bad part of town and got lost.
There is an older guy standing on the corner and we pulled up to ask directions, he just looked at us and said "Man if I was you I wouldn't be here!"
Very friendly, probably worse now.

Back