What's new
What's new

mfg.com

drewcuzz594

Plastic
I bought in to mfg.com back in july. Im just a regular machinst who thought i would be able to make some extra cash by bringing in some extra work to do at our facility. MFG sold me on this idea and told me it would be so easy GUARANTEED they said to make money. Yeah I know should have done a little more research.
Now they have me locked in for a year and wont release me from my contract so what im thinking of doing is releasing my account passwords on to anyone who would pay a small fee ( say $50 ) one time no contract so they can try for themselves to pick up work or at least get sellers info off the web site and not be in a contract with them for over 5000 dollars.
Im waiting for mfg to call me back to see if this is legal I'm sure there is nothing in my contract with them that says i cant do this. so if your interested email me
[email protected]

Why would anyone want to buy into a deal that you are having second thoughts about and can't make any money and may be paying for?? :nutter:

No thanks, I'll find my own customers.

Im not a sales person and dont own my own machine shop im just a machinist. I was just seeing if anyone was out there who wanted to give it a try and not have to invest thousands of dollars 50 dollars for a huge amount of potential leads isnt bad in my book.

Who did they garantee? You make money or them? Was it writing?

They guranteed I would make money ie brokering work out to the company i work for. nothing in writing they make the money this site is more for the guy with a machine in his garange with some spare material lying around

MFG, what the....

drewcuzz594,

I will tell you what I did some years back...

I tried the site for $3000 on the payment plan. After about a year of no work and hundreds, if not a 1,000 bids without any work and many conversations with them, and they wouldn't budge on anything money wise, I shut down my account that they were leeching on.

I think I only ended up not paying for $500, but from what I found is that the people that buy off that site are looking for free parts.

One little story....

I bid on a couple parts from a certain buyer. After a couple days of bidding against other people and finding out who the company was, it ends up that was a company my employer was actually making parts for.

Well long story short, this company was looking at purchasing the parts via MFG for about 10% from what my employer was making them for. Well, the target price was less than what a wholesale bulk material price for the part.

All mfg in my opinion is..is a bunch of guys that have machines in their garages that are "borrowing" materials and tooling from their employers to make some money on the side. There is no other possible way to make money on that site if you actually are a legitimate manufacturer and I think the buyers realize that also.

My 2 cents.

Mike in MN

http://www.cncprogrammingbook.com
http://www.cncbasicsforum.com

I don't think folks bid that low on purpose. I don't think enyone wants to run parts for less than material cost, or even less than $15/hr either and pay $5k/yr for the chance to doo it. (Even at home)

However - there are lots and lots of folks out there bidding on the commodity parts. You are bound to find a half dozen of them that blow the quote by forgetting the material price or have unrealistic concepts about what it will actually take to make that part. And even at that - what folks are really wanting to doo is find a shop that runs parts VERY similar to theirs that are already very efficient at it. As well as that shop is looking for the same thing. If you are not looking at that job thinking "how perfect" then there is really no point in even bothering quoting.

I was on there for a few yrs. I was on there back when at the close of the bids they would tell you the range and median of the bids. Before long they quit that. (Well - they supposedly would post some of that info later after the buyer did whatever it was that he did, but I am not sure I ever seen it?) But when they were posting that info the day after closing it was nice that you could see where you were in comparison. This [should] make it obvious where your standing in the chances of fetchin werk are.

I quickly only ever wasted my time on werk that looked like it was in my niche' and not bothered with 99% of the other stuff. (see above) I did land one job. It was one that had a LOT of info on a small print. I thought that there was one tight bearing bore, but when I started programming I eventually found one or two more in that part. (And tighter tols too!) Then they talked me into running two sister parts that were shorter and had up to 4 bearing bores each. The first part was to have been 1000 pc run, but turned out to be four releases of 250. Which was for the best as it turns out since the parts were so "busy" that I needed to babysit that machine - and had to shut down everything else.

That company could have been a reg customer, but their payments were slow and communication was bad IMO. They were a very big buyer on MFG and their ratings were lots better than my experience. But the flip side of that is - how doo you give a customer a bad grade if you want to have eny chance of landing another job from them? That point makes the grading system only aboot 50% reliable. I guess that means cut their rating in half and that's prolly more truthfull.

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back