What's new
What's new

How to build this structure?

rojicha07

Plastic
Hi everyone!

This is my first post in this forum and I apologize to begin with a question but I really need help from all of you manufacturing experts!

So here’s my situation. I’m in college in my country (Costa Rica) and this semester I’m taking a class called Product Design. The professor assigned to each group a different product which we must manufacture and present in about 3 weeks from today.
The product that I have to build is a convertible device that is intended to be used in the beach. It is a foldable/portable device that I can turn into a table and also into a beach chair for two people. Here are a couple of basic diagrams that we did of the product:

beachpal.jpg

The basic concept is an aluminum structure with some kind of fabric stitched to it. However, my group’s fundamental question and worry is: how can we make the aluminum tubes to fold in order for the product to be convertible (foldable as table with roof and as chair) and portable when not in use? We have been trying to research about hinges but without success of a reasonable way to actually make the aluminum tubes to fold as needed and as showed on the diagrams.

Do any of you have any idea of how can we achieve this? Hopefully there is a simple and not too costly way to build this product?

We would really appreciate any tip, help or guidance that any of you could provide us.

Thanks a lot in advance!

You have a product design and engineering issue at the moment. It hasn't yet become a manufacturing issue. At the risk of sounding callous, you are really going to need to sit with your design, analyze all the motion you think is required, and then try to design joints that accommodate the desired motion. I will say that I think it unlikely you will be able to accomplish your goal with hinged joints only, and end up with a human-safe product. Some bracing and/or locking devices may be required.

This probably won't be of any help but your drawing made me think of these pop-up displays I have. They are Aluminium framed and fold up into those plastic hardcases. The hardcase/suitcase is about 3 ' - 3.5 ' long and around 8" wide. The Displays are about 10 ' high. Units are in garage about 40 miles from me so can't get exact measurements at the moment , but will do do tomorrow.

This probably won't be of any help but your drawing made me think of these pop-up displays I have. They are Aluminium framed and fold up into those plastic hardcases. The hardcase/suitcase is about 3 ' - 3.5 ' long and around 8" wide. The Displays are about 10 ' high. Units are in garage about 40 miles from me so can't get exact measurements at the moment , but will do do tomorrow.

Wow, that looks very similar to the concept we need to achieve! May I ask how did you manage to fold them?

You can see the hinge joints right in the bottom picture.

Oh ok yes, I see them now! Please excuse my ignorance, I really suck at this things haha, but did you buy those hinge joints or made them somehow? And one last question, each of them is made up of four individual framed panels, joined together by the hinges, right? Or there's no aluminium frame in the middle horizontal divisions?

Wow, that looks very similar to the concept we need to achieve! May I ask how did you manage to fold them?

I'll go over to my garage (40 miles away) today and bring one of those suitcases back and take some pics of it folded / in the process of folding.

There's no Aluminium in the middle section . but you can add some if you want because the way it is folded does not interfere with any horizontal bracing you might add.

Really? You want us to do your homework for you? You're in school to do some thinking, so do it. I doubt your instructors intent was to go ask some machinists (what we are here) or some engineers (what some here are) for help to solve your problem. I'll venture to guess that a solution for one purpose like Spud so generously offered, a display wall environment, will not satisfy the needs of a bench for two people.
I don't mean to scold, but your priorities appear to need some alignment. If you want to achieve your own best results for your life, you need to be able to tap into your own creativity, not someone elses. I hope you can take this as constructive criticism because it is how I intend it to be.
Good luck with your efforts, seriously
Ron

I'll go over to my garage (40 miles away) today and bring one of those suitcases back and take some pics of it folded / in the process of folding.

There's no Aluminium in the middle section . but you can add some if you want because the way it is folded does not interfere with any horizontal bracing you might add.

I really appreciate your help! But there's no need for you to drive that much, please don't bother! If you remember how you made the hinges that's all I need to know! But thanks a lot seriously for your help!

As for some of the other replies, I know, I get your point. But as an Industrial Engineer I really don't care a lot about learning how to build useless products. And with only 3 weeks to present it, as mediocre as it sounds, I just want to present something that looks like the concept, even if it can't stand the weight of people. But I understand your point of view, I should think and do it myself without asking anyone, I just have zero building knowledge.

Thanks again

I really appreciate your help! But there's no need for you to drive that much, please don't bother! If you remember how you made the hinges that's all I need to know! But thanks a lot seriously for your help!

As for some of the other replies, I know, I get your point. But as an Industrial Engineer I really don't care a lot about learning how to build useless products. And with only 3 weeks to present it, as mediocre as it sounds, I just want to present something that looks like the concept, even if it can't stand the weight of people. But I understand your point of view, I should think and do it myself without asking anyone, I just have zero building knowledge.

Thanks again

Been meaning to go there anyways ; was planning on putting the displays and other stuff up for sale .

I didn't build it, it was made my an American compnay some time in the late 80s. They don't use that design anymore for pop-up displays.

The frame is made of U-Channel Aluminium or it may be steel, will check with a magnet. When folded some of the U-channels nestle inside other U-Channels . The 4 sections all have spring loaded tabs that lock them in place when fully unravelled. You have to press on the tabs for them to release.

Thanks again

You're gonna go far in life, kid....

Been meaning to go there anyways ; was planning on putting the displays and other stuff up for sale .

I didn't build it, it was made my an American compnay some time in the late 80s. They don't use that design anymore for pop-up displays.

The frame is made of U-Channel Aluminium or it may be steel, will check with a magnet. When folded some of the U-channels nestle inside other U-Channels . The 4 sections all have spring loaded tabs that lock them in place when fully unravelled. You have to press on the tabs for them to release.

Once again, thank you very much for your help

Hi, sorry about the delay in replying.

The Dimensions of the plastic hard-case are : 7" wide x 34.25" length x 26.5" depth. Weight is 28 lbs .
If the pics seem confusing, I can take more.

I was going to burst in and continue the pile-on about how this is trying to get other people to do your homework, and an affront to the noble profession of engineering yadda yadda.

But then I thought about it, and in the past decade I have asked for suggestions here numerous times when I was stuck, or if I had a suspicion that there was a standard right way to do something that I didn't know. And someone comes through for me often enough that it is almost a standard part of my problem solving process. I'd like to think I give back enough to have it even out.

This design is all about the hinges. You will need to design some strong and clever ones. We can't do that for you. But once you have a design, this site CAN help with whether it is manufacturable or what you can change to make it cheaper/easier/better.

Back