What's new
What's new

How to Connect a Rotating Bar to Stationary Support

asifshiraz

Plastic
I have a square, weight bearing steel bar, that will rotate. I need to have the weight rest on a stationary support. What kind of connection can I make between them?

My research leads to a thrust bearing, which can hold the bar, and its flange is connected to the stationary support below. But they all have a hole in the middle. A round shoulder of my bar will just rotate inside the hole in the bearing, instead of causing the bearing to rotate. A square bore will work, but all of those that came in search results were for harrows in agriculture industry. What is the standard approach for this situation?

I have described the same in the attached image.

question.jpg

So basically square peg round hole my grandsons working on that right now I'll have a look at his research work when he has his knap but your going to owe him a juice box ... trevor

Not sure that that bearing/mount is designed for axial load. I bet that the bearing is designed to support a load in line with the plate and not to carry load in thrust axially. It may be possible to sandwich a thrust bearing in between another plate and the plate of the pictured mount.
Joe

Not sure that that bearing/mount is designed for axial load. I bet that the bearing is designed to support a load in line with the plate and not to carry load in thrust axially. It may be possible to sandwich a thrust bearing in between another plate and the plate of the pictured mount.
Joe

2nd that, that type of bearing is not designed for axial loads, ..........I know from experience they don't take it for long - not my design, but what a mess when it went bang :eek:

That type of set up need thrust bearings of some sort, oh and while you're at it, keep away from none circular bore bearings, most of them are made for ''agricultural tolerances '' - balers, disc harrows, stone separators etc etc, where the shafts are usually no more than std bright drawn bar, ..........ideal for something being dragged through the dirt, but not a precision application.

Just pick a deep-groove ball-bearing, or an angular-contact ball-bearing, that can take the load. Turn the end of the square bar round, and make it a snug fit in the bearing.

Take a look at commercial kebab rotisseries and you will either see a washer (with a square hole) welded to the shaft, or the shaft will be distorted (in a press or vise) to small "ears" that keep the shaft from sliding.

If the shaft is 1/4", or 3/8", or 1/2" square, slide the respective wrench socket onto it and weld it on.

If you go with an impact socket (not chromed) a bandsaw could slice off a "washer" for you.

I can not come up with the correct name but they make extended inner race ball bearings. These have set screws holes through the race outside the bearing shell. Often used with a pillow block or flange mount for heavy duty use but pretty rough tolerances. You could easily use longer set screws to hold a square shaft in place. may need shims to keep it centered in the bore.
I have no idea if these can take thrust loads or not.
Bill D

Boston Gear SF-1-5/16 Flange Mounted Ball Bearing, 4 Bolt, Standard Duty, Extended Inner Race, Set Screw Lock, Lip and Flinger Seals, 1-5/16" Bore Diameter, Cast Iron, Inch: Flange Block Bearings: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Mount a fixture on a thrust bearing. There is a special kind of bearing made for this exact purpose. It is called a "shaft end bearing". It is designed to handle a heavy axial load yet turn rapidly. They look like this:

shaft_end_bearing.png

I had an application like this once. But it was a round chromed shaft, vertically mounted in a bus, and the girls would............TMI !!!

Back