What's new
What's new

How to consistently measure these features without a cmm

Karl_Kunkle

Aluminum
I am trying to figure out how to consistently measure the 112 degree angle and 2.020 dimension.

My tolerance on the angle is +/- .5 degrees. tolerance on the 2.020 boss is +.003, -0.000

I do not have access to a cmm at the moment.

Thanks,

how to measure this.JPG

comparator and repo rubber? or you can figure out the drop for the 112 as long as you hold diameters...as for the 2.02..without making a monstrosity of a home made plug gage you can set up an indicator and a vblock

an accurately made sheet metal template combined with some feeler strips would go a long way.

I'm wondering what the manufacturers print looks like, and how those dimensions are toleranced. I have seen worse so don't get me wrong, but calling an angular tangency point out with that tight a tolerance is stupid, even if you had access to a CMM. Not that being stupid gets you out of the pickle right?

Here's a question; how is your customer going to inspect this part? If they have a CMM use it to do a First Article Inspection and hold the other diameters close, and run with it.

R

Use a linear slide to move the part under a dial indicator. Indicator drop divided by the distance moved is the tangent of the angle measured from the horizontal plane. add 90 to get the angle in question.

I'd make a pin gage for the 2.02 one side 2.0205 the other side 2.0175.

For the angle make an angled cradle for the part and use and the indicator holder of your choice.

Make both from aluminum, cheap and easy to machine.

I'd make a pin gage for the 2.02 one side 2.0205 the other side 2.0175.

For the angle make an angled cradle for the part and use and the indicator holder of your choice.

Make both from aluminum, cheap and easy to machine.

the pin gage isn't going to fly in mine or any QC department, as was pointed out the interference of a pin and a mating angle is too loose. Not only could there be zero edge break on the pin there could also be no allowance for a radius at that tangency. And then what if the pin rocks-too small, if it moves on the flat-too big? that doesn't do anything except tell the inspector NOGO/GO, that isn't a measurement, it doesn't help the person doing the manufacturing. I used to work with a guy like that in quality, basically useless to tell the person building the part good or no good and that's all.

Not sure what you mean by "cradle".

R

Maybe go no go disk with guide step into the hole and then measure the height to the top, I assume the part is round.

the pin gage isn't going to fly in mine or any QC department, as was pointed out the interference of a pin and a mating angle is too loose. Not only could there be zero edge break on the pin there could also be no allowance for a radius at that tangency. And then what if the pin rocks-too small, if it moves on the flat-too big? that doesn't do anything except tell the inspector NOGO/GO, that isn't a measurement, it doesn't help the person doing the manufacturing. I used to work with a guy like that in quality, basically useless to tell the person building the part good or no good and that's all.

Not sure what you mean by "cradle".

R

After I posted I though well it'll work for the oversize but not the under but I got caught up with stuff at work and forgot lol...

As for the cradle, it would hold the part at 60° and allow the indicator to be swept from tangent to tangent, based on the shape being round of course.

I just woke up so gimme a break :)

Back