What's new
What's new

shop made custom axa tool holder design advice

alan c

Aluminum
Hello. I am making some axa tool holders that are not standard. I want to make a left and right holders that are simular to the lantern style holders that take 1/4 inch bits. The idea is less grinding and maybe useful in making small parts. I dont have drawings or pics. The holders are also longer for more reach. Has anyone made something like this or have some tips on my design. I also made a axa blank in whch I can mount an indicator to. I have been using pre hardened 4140. I will attempt to broach in the 1/4 inch tool bit holes. Thanks to all. Alan C

Here's an idea I've been working on.
When I'm using the cuttoff holder I don't want to have to turn the toolpost to cut up close to the chuck. I thought this holder would allow me to cut close to the chuck and also face with standard straight bits. Of course the top rake still has to be ground into the tool and there is a clearance problem on the front of the holder, thus the excessive overhang of the bit in the picture. Also, he holddown screws need some kind of washer. The nice thing was not having to broach a square hole. The best I can say sofar is it works.

Attachments

• toolholder12.JPG
    toolholder12.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 503
  • toolholder1.JPG
    toolholder1.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 486
What I did was make up an Arm/Aloris tool holder. This is an Aloris dovetail fitting toolholder with a large side opening to clamp an entire Armstrong toolholder. Sort of like a #1 Aloris toolholder, but with double or triple the holding capacity. This one holder lets you use all the Armstrong type holders you might have or obtain for next to nothing.

Depending on your toolpost height and lathe, this may have to overhand the compound, which means you'd have to reset the compound swivel to reach some things.

you might adapt this

toolpost.jpg

great idea, Stu. Now look what you've started!!! I would like to make one that angles the tool towards the chuck for a tool that can clean up a square shoulder.

Back