What's new
What's new

My new lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

vettepicking

Hot Rolled
i just won this and will be picking it up next week. the reason i bid on it was the great price, it being new and within 100 miles of my house. Being in south florida lathes are very hard to come by so i bid away. this lathe is the better of the imports made by Lux-matter and also sold as Birmingham 1340g along with others. i saved alot on buying new from enco at $7000+ $1000 s/h. ill add it next my 9A. matt

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=350194482404

You’re not going to win over any hard core American iron guy's on this board with that, they will say you could have bought a good old machine, that's debatable.

I'll say you got a good deal, but you still need digitals and a collet closer and those alone will set you back some dough.

It's new and only will be abused by you, err I mean used by you.

Good luck and have fun tooling up.

Tom

I'll say you got a good deal, but you still need digitals and a collet closer and those alone will set you back some dough.

Tom

thanks, i dont really need a dro , never had one at work on our lathe or grinder. but as for a 5c and a adjust thru chuck would be my first buy. i brought a 5c handle opener kit for $255 shipped for a buddy a while back. or maybe a Phase ll quick tool holder...:drool5:

i did a lot of reading on taiwan lathes and found that most colchester,clausings, m300 series are taiwan made and some say made in england by 600 group(taiwan). i saw many pics by people in the factories, used many in the field and was impressed by them.
i do own a 1945 south bend 9A , and always liked the delta rockwell vari speed lathes .

but i have said this in pass posts the only thing in florida is beaches and grass, so lathes are hard to find in good shape or not.

looks nice. now that you have an import, next one will be american. ;)

This is true...your next one could be a broken down 75 year old South Bend with bronze sleeve bearings and a worn out leadscrew.:rolleyes5:

You will love your NEW lathe...don't discount digital readouts, they make life much easier.

Stuart

This is true...your next one could be a broken down 75 year old South Bend with bronze sleeve bearings and a worn out leadscrew.:rolleyes5:

You will love your NEW lathe...don't discount digital readouts, they make life much easier.

Stuart

LOL, mines only 64 years old. :cheers:

You’re not going to win over any hard core American iron guy's on this board with that..

<-- Hardcore American Iron Guy

BUT...

If the tool does what you need it to do, then it's enough. You'll never have all the right tools for the right jobs, or the best tools for the job at hand. I've seen amazing work produced from a whole lot less machine than Vette's new Turnpro.

Enjoy discovering the capability of your new machine and learn everything you can from it! It looks like you got quite a good deal on it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back