What's new
What's new

How do I determine Morse Taper size?

Socko124

Plastic
I have a chinese (insert brand here...) 1340 lathe, and I am looking to get some centers for it. How do I determine what taper size I need? Also, I have a spindle bore of the metric equivalent of 1.5 inches, and I need to know where I may be able to find an adapter so I can use the same size in the headstock and tailstock. Anybody know where I need to start?

Awesome! Don't know why I didnt try that first. But, any ideas on where to get the taper adaptor collet that comes with a lot of lathes?

Look at the chart. It gives a large and small dimension and a distance between. Measure the small and large end and the distance between and compare to the chart. Really, all you need to do is measure the large dimension and the large end of your taper.

Very likely that machine has MT3 in the tailstock and MT4 or 5 in the spindle.

For some real fun, find two ball bearings of different sizes and drop one in the bore. Measure the depth to the top of it. Do the same with the other one. Now calculate the taper, and the diameter at the mouth, allowing for the bevel there.

Morse Taper I pulled this link up from your original question "How do I determine what taper size I need?". I believe that Rossco's comment was to simply emphasize that the information you seek is readily available on Google or many of the other search engines.

I guess a 4-1/2 MT Now my 2 cents worth - It's not uncomon for a newer lathe headstock to have a half size MT or any size MT for that matter. Newer lathes have a larger spindle bore compaired to their size. Old Monarchs, South Bends, Le Blonds, ect. have the smallest thru hole compaired to their big chuck/swing size & their MT's were on the #. Royal & other mfgs. offer 5C & other adaptors off the shelf. Morse tapers are aprox. 5/8 in. per foot, I said aprox. 5/8 in per foot. Next you can indicate the taper in the bore, by the distance traveled to get 12" then X2.

Thanks for the wise ass remark. It is sooo helpful

No-problem, when someone gives you a answer, and you again ask another question that was again answered with first question, then a third. And with common sense directing that if first 3 were able to answered by means as first question, one would hopefully think to try answer 1 again.

Ok, it is a 5MT in the headstock, and 3MT in the tailstock. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a 5MT-3MT adaptor, perhaps I am calling it the wrong thing when I search because I am coming up with zilch. And you need to grow up Rossco. I am new to this and merely trying to learn more about it.

Is it just called a 5 to 3 morse taper adaptor? or is there another name I may not be familiar with?

Yep that is pretty much what it is called.

Tip: When using google (or any search engine) don't try to be too specific the first try. If you do a search for 'morse taper adaptor' you will find what you need. It is also called a 'morse taper sleeve'.

Popular places like Enco, MSC, McMaster-Carr, Wholesale Tools, and a just about any and every tooling supply store both on and off the web carries them. A good quality one shouldn't cost you more than $60 and you can find imported ones for 1/4 of that.

However... it may not be exactly what you need but it will work for mounting a center in the spindle. The problem will be trying to get the center out of the sleeve. Most centers do not have tangs and most sleeves are made for tanged tools such as drill bits and reamers. You can modify a morse taper sleeve by cutting off the excess just forward of the key hole.

Another option is simply to just order one from the manufacturer of your lathe or from a different manufacturer that has the same spindle taper as yours.

-DU-

Last edited:
What David might not have made clear, is your center might get stuck in the Morse Taper sleeve because they are supposed to hold tightly and not come loose. In the tailstock of your lathe, the drill, center, whatever will pop loose when you retract the tailstock spindle past a certain point. In a drill press there is a slot near the top of the spindle to insert a tool made to drive out stuck drill bits, which is why they usually have a tang on them.

Keep asking questions.

Back