What's new
What's new

Drill sharpeners

Steve@Reliance

Hot Rolled
After reading a couple of threads regarding grinding drills, I have realized that despite being able to skillfully hand grind drills I need to get a machine to do it. Grinding a drill for use on a turret mill is one thing, but we are using decent quality drills on our cnc's and I'm getting tired of just buying new stuff when drills get dull. I am leaning towards used, haven't checked the price of new yet. I would like to know what everyone is using and what to look for as far as attachments, wear points, make, capabilities etc. go.

Darex is a good place to start, click here. Every they manufacture works well. I have their V290, now replaced by the V390. I believe they offer a full return policy (up to 30 or 60 days) if purchased direct. Not terribly expensive as drill grinders go.

--------------
Barry Milton

Steve-

I'll second the Darex, we've had one for a half dozen years and the half-fast monkeys can't screw it up. We bought new, and it paid for itself in no time cleaning up the dull stuff we had and not having to buy new over and over.

Just a personal observation, mind you.

Billy

I will 3rd the Darex. Thought about it for almost 20 years but should have done it much sooner. A lot of money, yes but the quality & precision are excellent.Makes drilling accurate holes a breeze & normal drilling fun again. No regrets here.

I am extremely satisfied with my TDR/SRD drill grinders. They have been making them since around 1973, and the grinding wheel and drill holder for the standard model are still the same parts. The motors and switches have changed, but the basic design has proved to be ideal, quick and easy to learn and use. But get one only to use for drills. I don't think their endmill attachment is worth having. TDR/SRD drill grinders

The machine shop at the place I retired from had a Darex drill grinder and the machinists warned me that it was junk. That was one of the many models (M3?) that they no longer make. I have noticed that Darex frequently replaces their models, so that parts are then hard to get. The newer Darex models seem to be designed around unique and expensive grinding wheels. I have Darex endmill grinders and they are nice to use, but easily broken by UPS handling.

It seems to me that needing a collet for each size drill makes the Black Diamond a machine to avoid unless you find one that is really complete.

The Champ looks pretty good, but I never owned or used one.

Larry

Will jump on Larry's post, as I have an SRD and find it does a good job and is very easy to use. I have a Drill Doctor, but was not as satisfied with the results.

Dr. is a sharpener, not a real grinder. It'll shine up a dull point, but you won't be grinding 1/8" of blued or chipped lips back with it. I have real good luck hand grinding badly screwed up bits and then finishing with the Dr.

The Drill Doctor is barely suitable for a home shop! It does a better job than most of us can do manually, but critical components are made of a plastic material that wears rapidly under the diamond and drill dust, resulting in drifting angles. The grinding wheel wears fairly fast too, but at $20 it isn't the end of the world. I'm glad I have one, but I wish I had the Darex.

Dr. is a sharpener, not a real grinder. It'll shine up a dull point, but you won't be grinding 1/8" of blued or chipped lips back with it.
Must have just been a dream yesterday when I sharpened a drill from scratch on the Dr. that I got for $10 at a garage sale. It took a really long time though.

Normally in that situation I grind the drill by hand on the 80 grit aluminum oxide green wheel and then use the Dr. to split the point. At least on drill up to 3/4". Anything over 3/4", which is most of the time, I just free hand it. Nobody can squeeze more life out of a 2-3/8" Allied spade insert as I can.

Back