What's new
What's new

How do I steer my career path to the areospace industry

Chips-Ahoy

Aluminum
I have been machining for 8 years, started writing my own programs about 4 years ago. The best I can tell... the money is in the aerospace industry. Without having a degree I figure the highest paying salary job would be in programming. According to what I read, aerospace manufacturing is almost the only manufacturing industry that is thriving during these shity economical times. Correct me if I am assuming to much.

My plan is to learn Catia, and apply for a programming position.
There is an aerospace manufacturing company near me that has been advertising a programming position for 3 years...

Anyone have Catia experience? Specifically Catia + AMG.

What is the advantage of catia over solidworks? They seem similar.

Any advice is apreciated, thanks.

I have been machining for 8 years, started writing my own programs about 4 years ago. The best I can tell... the money is in the aerospace industry. Without having a degree I figure the highest paying salary job would be in programming. According to what I read, aerospace manufacturing is almost the only manufacturing industry that is striving during these shity economical times. Correct me if I am assuming to much.

There is an aerospace manufacturing company near me that has been advertising a programming position for 3 years...

Aerospace is definitely not the only industry still thriving. Its also definitely not the only place a machinist/programmer can make good money. If you want a job in a certain industry the only way to break in is to APPLY.

From what I have been told, company's using Catia only want someone with catia experience. I believe it is the primary CAD/CAM software throughout automotive and aerospace industries.

How to get into aerospace? Apply for a job at aerospace companies. Do it until you get one.

But there are other industries which pay well. I read the Houston Sunday paper and it looks like oil may be about to begin making a bit of a comeback. And it is probably a bit more stable than aerospace.

You have a classic chicken/egg problem. The larger companies almost always want several years CATIA N/C experience before hiring a programmer. The smaller companies almost never have budget or time to train somebody off the street. There's 3rd party companies and some colleges that offer training for a fee but I've never seen an unexperienced CATIA programmer hired directly out of one of those; not to say it can't happen if some employer gets desperate enough.

I've seen the most non-degree people break into CATIA by already working somewhere for a time, prove their abilities then convince the company to train them. Your experience might get you into a smaller company that would be willing eventually to train you in that scenario. However, the smaller (and some of the larger) companies have been burned so many times by training somebody that immediately quits it might take them quite a while to trust you aren't just using them for a jumping off point.

The "advantage" of CATIA over any other package is volume. CATIA got pushed so hard (lots of reasons for that) that it just about replaced every other brand in the aerospace industry.

a cnc operator making $22/hr and working over time at $33/hr can easily make $62,000 a year. i know as thats what i made last year. and this year i will possibly make $67,000
many a programmer working no over time even if they make more per hour can make considerably less money at the end of the year. my old job i made $27.70/hr but only made $57,000 at the end of the year as i worked no over time.
just be aware some places programmers are on salary and make no extra money working over time

I have been machining for 8 years, started writing my own programs about 4 years ago. The best I can tell... the money is in the aerospace industry. Without having a degree I figure the highest paying salary job would be in programming. According to what I read, aerospace manufacturing is almost the only manufacturing industry that is thriving during these shity economical times. Correct me if I am assuming to much.

that's the industry I work in...maybe I can help...they were looking for machinists here...but I don't see it but you could call or ask...also there is a position called designer...look around in there
External Applicants | Argonne National Laboratory

currently they are going full force building these and need machinists and apprentices and all kinds of people...I have a special place in my heart for the navy....LOL
Fincantieri Marinette Marine

tesla and space X are hiring as well, some of my collegues left to go work at tesla....hope you find something because many places are looking...good luck

a friend of mine works at a shop that does all Northrup work. He said they were switching to NX

An NX guy was at work yesterday and said Boeing is their biggest client. He said they've used it to design a whole plane and they have 30 full time people just as Team Center admins. Crazy.

I'm learning NX right now.... Ughhhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chips I did some checking and this is where I got my start at and they are hiring for what you want to do....its in SHARONVILLE OHIO...GE AVIATION GROUP...the new 3D center in Westchester also

GE Aviation to open new West Chester center in August | www.journal-news.com

one of my first jobs was making the cages for bird testing...now look at the testing..we did it inside then and it was awesaome..ZHAZAMMMMMM WHAM....and I modified the blade twists in the engine also in the wind tunnel...thousands of .02 holes at different angles in titanium from thousandths deep to inches deep....cool stuff...PM me about that job too if your really interested...I found out some info

Study the charisma and politics of doing best in the job interview. Look smart and confidant, Smile a few times and say all the right things, Have more to say than about you, Compliment the company.

Very often the PR person is not an engineer or tool maker but is looking for the right person and then who is qualified.

...oil may be about to begin making a bit of a comeback. And it is probably a bit more stable than aerospace.

That's funny.

If you want stability, find a company that builds infrastructure support equipment. They won't pay the best though.

For pay and a challenge, advancing technology like aerospace is the way to go.

just be aware some places programmers are on salary and make no extra money working over time
Very true.

Some companies might pay salary programmers OT but at straight time not time and a half due to Labor Department regulations.

Some companies allocate OT budget BOY but stop paying salary NC programmers straight OT when that runs out towards the EOY. And it always does, it seems.

That's funny.

If you want stability, find a company that builds infrastructure support equipment. They won't pay the best though.

For pay and a challenge, advancing technology like aerospace is the way to go.

As a 35 year aerospace Engineer, that started on the burr-bench and worked my way up to running mills, programming, and engineering, perhaps i can shed a tiny bit of light.

1. Aerospace is not "advancing technology" it's actually receding technology. There is nothing being done that hasn't been done since the 1960s. indeed, with increasing regulation and global, not just domestic, increase in bureaucracy, the industry is becoming stagnated despite all the ballyhoo at each press release.

2. Aerospace is and has always has been a wild rollercoaster ride. Often very steep and abrupt. Yes, it's where the money is, but it's also where the poverty is. Being out of work for months at a time is quite common.

3. Catia is Solidworks, only made much worse. Catia V4 (Classic CATIA) was tremendously capable, but IBM made it horribly expensive and proprietary. Like the Betamax, and for the same reasons, it fell out of favor despite its capability. You couldn't just *buy* catia, but had to be "approved" and jump through hoops, at least early on.

Losing lots of bizness, they reworked SWorks and stapled the Catia name to it. It in no wise resembles classic catia and that caused uncharted and untold confusion in the industry among the operators. But this was sold to the executives as an "enterprise wide solution". Executives, that don't know anything, assembled blue ribbon committees, that don't do anything, to approve their recommendations that they want. Salesmen had convinced the execs they'd have this limitless and therefore infinitely seductive *control* over every step and every segment of their enterprise. This was laughable and incredibly expensive.

But the fix was in. Engineering, manufacturing, shop, planning, programming, supply chain... etc. They were all one big happy family under catia v5. This was the lie. Boeing devoted entire departments to "Knowledge Based Engineering" developing subroutines to get Catia to do what they said it'd do; with only marginal sucess.

4. PARTS of Boeing and several others have gotten tired of Catia and IBM as a whole. They're switching to the Seimens product NX. This is a system that was formerly UG-II that was made by guess who? McDonnell Douglas. I suspect there's some connections remaining.

5. If anyone wants to get into aerospace NOW, it means this nation is in the toilet, because aerospace is way down and only MAYBE gonna revive a bit on this new stealth bomber thing. Ever since your prez, Barry Hussein, got all over the bizjets in 2008 for being 'only for the rich', the whole industry took a nose dive starting at the Boardroom. Not in 2008, mind you. It wasn't connected with the 'housing bubble' stories. But by 2011, it was ghost town from the factories to the finishing centers and most having slave-work, if any work at all,that had to be done yesterday for fear of it being cancelled at any time.

Hope some of that helps.

Wrat

My experience working in the aerospace industry parallels what Wrat said above.

I would also add that the industry is heavily regulated, which leads to bueacracy. Processes (especially out in the shop) are carefully documented so everything is consistent and tracked. If there is a problem out in the field, investigators can look back and see exactly how the part in question was made and try and determine what went wrong. The problem with this from the worker prospective is you may not have much say in the way things are done and employees are interchangeable and replaceable.

Although the aerospace business may be a gold mine, it may not mean you as an employee are paid any better than if you were working in some other less high tech industry in the same location.

I don't know about your area, but in New England construction seems to be taking off. If you like working with your hands maybe you should take over your fathers flooring business?

Hi Sir,

I myself work in an aerospace component manufacturer and feel that this industry still needs people like you.
May I ask what programming language have you been using? CATIA is a powerful tool but like what others have said Boeing is in plan to change to NX soon. If you are keen on working in Asia there will be loads of job opportunities here. Salary wise I wont be sure if it can meet your expectations but it would be a good start for you.

a cnc operator making $22/hr and working over time at $33/hr can easily make $62,000 a year. i know as thats what i made last year. and this year i will possibly make $67,000
many a programmer working no over time even if they make more per hour can make considerably less money at the end of the year. my old job i made $27.70/hr but only made $57,000 at the end of the year as i worked no over time.

Or you could work for $20/hr and work 25 hours of overtime EVERY SINGLE WEEK to get the same yearly pay... C'mon Tom, what are you selling with this rhetoric? Are you recruiting now LOL. Seriously, what you are saying was more or less the same thing I heard almost 20 years ago at an interview -

"We can't pay you what you are making now, but you can work more overtime so you will make the same." Really? WOW what a deal. :rolleyes5:

Ever since your prez, Barry Hussein, got all over the bizjets in 2008 for being 'only for the rich', the whole industry took a nose dive starting at the Boardroom. Not in 2008, mind you. It wasn't connected with the 'housing bubble' stories. But by 2011, it was ghost town from the factories to the finishing centers and most having slave-work, if any work at all,that had to be done yesterday for fear of it being cancelled at any time.

This is another typical ignorant load of right wing bullshit.

General Aviation Market Data | Aircraft Sales & Shipments shows a chart of annual general aviation aircraft delivered from 2000 thru 2015.

Sales dropped off a cliff from 08 to 09 in near perfect lockstep with the crash of the economy in general.

Although sales bottomed in 2010 and began to recover slightly in 2011, cost is a major reason why bizjet sales haven't come anywhere near recovering to the 2007 and earlier levels.

The average price of a bizjet was $12.5 million in 2007 and $26.3 million in 2015.

Obama has regularly hammered on one single loophole related to bizjets. That loophole allows jets for private business use to be depreciated over 5 years while jets used for charter or commercial purposes are depreciated over 7 years.

So, if you use a plane to directly generate taxable income, you have to depreciate over 7 years, but if you use the same plane for executive convenience, which may or may not actually result in additional taxable income, then it depreciates on a 5 year schedule. Seems somewhat backward to me.

Meanwhile, industry mouthpieces ignore the fact that Obama signed off on tax breaks that allow companies to write off about half the cost of new planes in the first year via bonus depreciation, and focus only on the fact that he wants the 5 year business use loophole eliminated.

Bizjet manufacturers are currently generating revenue at approximately the 2007 level while producing half the amount of product. Can you name any other industry whose production has been halved while their dollar volume remained the same?

The vast majority of the domestic bizjet dollar volume goes to companies who are integral parts of the tax money sucking military industrial complex. Their real problem isn't with Obama wanting to change the depreciation period for aircraft used in private business, but rather with the fact that he's much less likely than any Republican to look for more opportunities to shove additional tax dollars into their pockets via military contracts, otherwise known as licenses to steal.

Back