What's new
What's new

How do u mount lathe chuck to rotab

matt29

Plastic
I'd like to mount my grizzly 6" 3 jaw chuck to my 12" troyke rotary table. What can I make or buy to do this?

It is easiest to make an adapter if the chuck has through holes (not tapped) for attaching to a back plate. But you did not describe your chuck, so I cannot guess what you need.

Larry

Basically, you are going to do the opposite of my example. In your case, you will make a backing-plate which has a larger OD to mount to your rotary table. Countersink the screws mounting to the back of the chuck. Then leave holes for clamping to your rotary table on the outer portion of your new plate.

In my case, I wanted the opposite. I had an 8" rotary table, but I needed to chuck up 10" rounds. I bought a chuck, made a backing plate. Countersunk the screws that mounted to the rotary table. Once centered, I can install the chuck and bolt from the front.

As said, though, in your case you will bolt the plate to the chuck first. Then mount + center to the rotary table.

Attachments

• plate1.jpg
    plate1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,178
  • plate2.jpg
    plate2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 620
  • plate3.jpg
    plate3.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 624
  • plate4.jpg
    plate4.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 516
Great advice, unless the "grizzly 6" 3 jaw chuck" is a D mount machined directly into the back of the chuck. In that case, it would make sense to get another chuck.

Larry

Matt,

My situation is slightly different. I bought an indexing head that can swivel from parallel with the base or table to being at right angles to the base or table. The indexing head I bought specifically because it had a threaded spigot the same as my lathe's chucks. I can easily transfer either my 3 or 4-jaw chuck from the lathe to the mill in a couple of minutes... while never removing the work from the chuck.

What you need to make is a spigot with the same thread pitch and OD as the spindle on your lathe. Make it as carefully as possible so that it is a close fit paying the most attention to reference surfaces. If there is a center reference on your rotab (blind hole in the center) make the spigot so that it will fit in there and center itself WRT axis of the rotab. Provide some means of clamping it to the rotab table such as a flange with 4 bolt holes. Keep this adapter as short as possible.

Making the spigot will be an excellent project that will be incredibly useful for as long as you use that lathe and rotab. So useful, in fact, that once you get the spigot made and centered on your rotab you may never remove it.

-DU-

Back