What's new
What's new

Tool shed size lathe brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

3 WEELIN GEEZER

Plastic
Hey, fellas. First of all I would like to say I already used the search function and no answer came up.

My question is: What are good 'starter lathe' manufacturers? HF not included. I am currently eyeballing a Grizzly G0602 10x22. I am considering this because its a recently built product with repair parts available (not that I intend to beat it into the ground), decent amount of features, not a bad size or price and some have given it favorable marks. The lathe I used to use was an old south bend in jr. high. One of those would be great but they are too big for my shed.

Other features I am looking into is whether its grease or oil lubricated, types of add ons.

3 WEELIN GEEZER,

I advise you move your question over to "Homeshop Machinists Web". We only talk South Bend Lathe, Logan lathe, Sheldon Lathe and so on here. Grizzly and HF not allowed here.

Ken

3 WEELIN GEEZER,

Don't get me wrong here,

There are still many "old iron" lathes out there. Just have to look out for them. Search eBay, here, Craig's list, keep looking, they do show up.

Go for a old South Bend in good shape for a good starter lathe. So is Sheldon. Atlas or Craftsman, and Logan are OK. Clausings are nice, too.

Most parts are still available for South Bends.

Good luck!!!

Ken

Last edited:
See Machinery Discussion Guidelines thread...no Chinese home shop grade machines on PM​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back