What's new
What's new

Picking a basement hobby machine shop

Budget?

Plastic
Hello, I have been looking and buying things from a basement shop, I don't have much in the way of machine tools, tooling, setup stuff. Anyways this place has just about anything. I'm curious and want everything but I can't afford to so what are some key items to keep my eyes open for? I have purchased a surface plate, height gauges, micrometers, dividing head, and some other bits and bobs so far. Note for what equipment I already have is a worn Bridgeport and an even more worn Seneca falls screw cutting lathe.

Hello, I have been looking and buying things from a basement shop, I don't have much in the way of machine tools, tooling, setup stuff. Anyways this place has just about anything. I'm curious and want everything but I can't afford to so what are some key items to keep my eyes open for? I have purchased a surface plate, height gauges, micrometers, dividing head, and some other bits and bobs so far. Note for what equipment I already have is a worn Bridgeport and an even more worn Seneca falls screw cutting lathe.

any discussion of hobby machines is usually not tolerated. i personally bought cnc Sherline machines to help train on basic cnc. but realize they are adult toys or hobby machines

There are things like angle plates which appear to be aluminum just based on the color. They aren't huge and I have no idea what they are worth. One side has no holes or anything it's just flat and the other has 3 vertical t slots. There is a machinists tool box but I'm not sure what brand it is... It doesn't look like a g and s. He wants like $250 for it and the little bit of tools inside which is too much in my opinion. It is a mess so last time I went I didn't see everything that was there but I know there was a few 5c collets and a set of 1am collets. Rotary table, universal table(xy table with angleable table), universal vise, micrometers. ECT. If you can think of anything that would be a good addition to my shop and an amount of money that I shouldn't exceed. Thanks for tips and pointers

There are things like angle plates which appear to be aluminum just based on the color. They aren't huge and I have no idea what they are worth. One side has no holes or anything it's just flat and the other has 3 vertical t slots. There is a machinists tool box but I'm not sure what brand it is... It doesn't look like a g and s. He wants like $250 for it and the little bit of tools inside which is too much in my opinion. It is a mess so last time I went I didn't see everything that was there but I know there was a few 5c collets and a set of 1am collets. Rotary table, universal table(xy table with angleable table), universal vise, micrometers. ECT. If you can think of anything that would be a good addition to my shop and an amount of money that I shouldn't exceed. Thanks for tips and pointers

.....catalogs on internet will show current prices on new stuff
sure some used equipment is relatively cheap cause maybe person collected machine shop stuff (adult toys) as a hobby and they finally decided to get rid of a lot of it.
some older machines are often less than $5000. (some even less than $500.) but more of a problem how to move heavy machines and how to get electrical connected (like 3 phase power)

A big issue is how much shop space you have (in square feet), and how much headroom you have (in feet). Old manual machine tools often go for basically the price for the iron, and so one can do very well if one can handle what had been an industrial machine tool.

As for three-phase power, this is easily arranged for 208 to 240 Vac machines, by purchasing a VFD that will accept single-phase 220 Vac (as for a home clothes dryer) and generate the needed 3-phase power. I typically use Automation Direct units.

Be aware that lathes in particular are dangerous to the unwary. Get and read some books on how to use the various machine tools correctly, and what to be afraid of. Some of the possible accident chains are not at all obvious.

You will find many home shop people over at Home - Home Shop Machinist.

There is probably a local group of home shop machinists near where you live. Ask on the HSM general forum about this.

Here's a heads up gained from experience about putting machine tools in a basement. DON'T DO IT!

Some day when you move out, you will learn the hard way to regret it. Just for starters... machines go down stairs waaaaaaay easier then up.

Just sayin...

Dave

Here is some advise. The most expensive commodity in acquiring a hobby machine shop is space, then electric power. Never buy hobby level machines, it is a true waste of money. Surplus, professional machinery and tooling returns the best value. Save your cash in a reserve account and build a carefully prepared wish list. This list never goes away, it just evolves as you will. Watch the auctions and be prepared to purchase. Buy cheap and be prepared to repair and refit to save money. Please note, I did not say rebuild. You don't know enough and you do not have the required skill set in the beginning.

Here is some advise. The most expensive commodity in acquiring a hobby machine shop is space, then electric power. Never buy hobby level machines, it is a true waste of money. Surplus, professional machinery and tooling returns the best value. Save your cash in a reserve account and build a carefully prepared wish list. This list never goes away, it just evolves as you will. Watch the auctions and be prepared to purchase. Buy cheap and be prepared to repair and refit to save money. Please note, I did not say rebuild. You don't know enough and you do not have the required skill set in the beginning.

Listen to this post as it is solid advise.

I only disagree in the sense that it will never hurt for you to learn to do some rebuilding or learn how machine tools are put together and when to leave well enough alone. If you can some day, get a 2nd machine you can tear into on the side while you do your real, paying jobs on other machines that are working.

Do your best to buy or obtain factory manuals for your machines. Nothing is more valuable, including when tearing things apart. Knowing what's behind that screw or plate can be a life/part/money saver. Understanding what you're seeing in the drawings is also something learned with experience.

But again... Steve above nailed most of it.

And again... Basement - VERY BAD. Garage - GOOD. Shop - BETTER

Dave

You got me there. As long as they're paved or gravel right up to the very oversized door. That is unless you like dismantling your machines and putting them back together again once inside.

Have not had to disassemble any yet, but did pass on the big jig bore machine because that would be the only way to get it in, I consider it a sanity saving feature:)

Gentlemen, we obviously have a hobbyist here, and a beginner hobbyist at that. He has not said one single word about setting up a commercial, money making shop. I will grant you that he is in the wrong place so the first piece of advise that should be offered to him is the web address of a board that is more suitable to his situation. Digger-doug suggested one and I will offer another:

Forums -

The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop Magazine's BBS

I think he will be more at home in either of these BBs. And there are others that are more suited to his present needs. I will also offer the suggestion to the OP that he should take the time to read the rules of any BB that he joins before posting there. Many boards have unique situations and therefore, unique rules.

Steve, as to your advise I would suggest that it is a bit too harsh to be giving to a beginner hobbyist. It is great, even almost perfect for a person who is starting a pro shop. I would agree, up to a point at least, that purchasing the hobby style, imported machines, most of which are from China or other Pacific Ring countries, is not a good idea for a professional shop where things like reliability, accuracy, and longevity are very important. The machines in such an environment are expected to perform day after day, month after month, year after year. They are expected to make parts with the least amount of trouble and with the required accuracy. There is no place for a machine that has to be babied and coaxed into doing it's job.

But I did say, " up to a point". A professional shop is in business to MAKE MONEY, not to collect high quality machines. The machines that such a shop needs are the ones that will give the best return on investment when all factors are considered. For instance, it is easily possible to envision a professional shop that must make a simple part or parts. Perhaps these parts are not required in great quantity, but they must be made in a timely fashion when needed or ordered. Such a shop may indeed make use of a less expensive machine that can produce acceptable parts. And the purchase of a more expensive, high quality machine may make those parts far more expensive. That would destroy the profitability of that shop. So, with all due apologies to those who disagree, I do feel that even the Chinese import machines can have a role in not just the hobbyist shops, but also, in some circumstances, in professional, money making shops.

I know the feelings of those who control this board and I do respect them. I do understand that professional machinists who are "on the job" do not have the time to read and answer the endless repetition of the same basic questions of the beginner hobbyist. But my feeling is that any machine that fits into the financial picture of a given business or shop and that produces acceptable results in that frame of reference, IS a professional machine. I personally do not care where that machine was manufactured or what the price tag on it was. It it makes money in a professional shop, then it is, by definition, a professional machine. But again, that is not the rule here and I do respect the rules of the board. And I say go easy on the hobbyists who stumble in. I politely try to redirect then to more suitable boards.

When I first started out, the biggest improvements to my home shop came in the form of a DRO and a QCTP.
These will really speed up your work and make things easier.

Next is work holding: the more ways you have to hold material the more efficiently you can work.

Minimum requirements: 3 jaw, 4 jaw independent, 5C collets (or ER I suppose), Face plate, tailstock chucks, dividing head, spindex, rotary table, a good vice, angle plates, clamps, sin bar, boring head, Fly cutter, face mill.

If I were you I would search for a new lathe as well. The one you have may be capable or adequate for now, but you will soon see its limitations. Find a 13-14" gear head lathe with power feeds, a 5C spindle,Inch/Metric capability, and DRO and you will understand how slow it is to work on. Dont invest in too much tooling for the lathe you have, as it might not fit your new lathe.
Get more lathe than you think you need. You will be glad you did as you will only outgrow your antique lathe or any cheap hobby machine

Back