What's new
What's new

How do you drill chrome plated item?

bronto48

Hot Rolled
I am trying to drill small holes (11/32 inch) in chrome plated steel stampings. Using standard 118 degree point, HSS drills, I find that even with slow (225 RPM) spindle speeds that drill life is only about two holes. Hard to believe that chrome plating can be so destructive to the drill.

Should I be using carbide drills or some other technique?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

You can use a concret drill(the point is carbide) and sharpen it like a twist drill or use a carbide drill.

Chrome is really hard.

I'd check the hardness of the material itself. I've drilled lots of holes thru hard chromed shafting, and it generally drills like the chrome isn't even there, unless the shaft happens to be one of those that's induction cased prior to plating. Those are kinda tough on drills, especially when you aren't expecting it :D

Hit the "to be drilled spot" with a mounted point powered by your die grinder till the substrate shows through. ;-P

Drilling through chrome plating

First off, chrome plating is thin. You should use a solid carbide drill of 1/4 dia then follow through w/ carbide reamers until you finish the hole. 11/32 drill in sheet metal won't give you a decent hole

Back