What's new
What's new

How do you remove a broken drawbar?

Parkerbender

Stainless
Whelp, it happened. I finally broke a drawbar in the bridgeport. Probably should have changed it out already,it looked pretty rough, but I had never broke one before, so I figured they just didn't break...

So.

How the hell do you get the thing out? It's obviously tight...

Help! :willy_nilly:

-Parker

yank the top out, run a shaft the same size down and pound it outwith a hammer.

man this is a new one to me, we had a welder guy drill a vice on a beater mill in the welding area till it was in two peices. His name was vice buster from that day forward.

We also had a guy named jeff pressler and he jacked on a press till it broke a 50 ton press. till this day we call him jeff pressbreaker.

I say your name is drawbar-killer. buddie you earned it. ask millacron to change your ID. LOL LOL LOL

oh hell I love this thread, its going to go far..

Yeh just tap her on the head till she comes out, put some rags or wood on the table so she doesn't dent it, because when she lets loose she lets loose and comes out quick (atleast the ones I've seen on BP's Did)

Don't feel to bad, my 2nd day in Trade school I snapped one off too (mainly due to not knowing any better)

I had a similar experience this morning. I was preparing to tighten the drawbar nut with wrench but instead of grabbing spindle brake, I grabbed the power lever. Needless-to-say, wrench spun and sheared the drawbar. Removed the drawbar less the threads! They remain in my chuck with chuck stuck in spindle. Any chance of recovery in my situation???

I had a similar experience this morning. I was preparing to tighten the drawbar nut with wrench but instead of grabbing spindle brake, I grabbed the power lever. Needless-to-say, wrench spun and sheared the drawbar. Removed the drawbar less the threads! They remain in my chuck with chuck stuck in spindle. Any chance of recovery in my situation???

Paint the spindle brake red.
Remove the wrench from the wall where it ended up.
Then put drawbar back and swear while pounding on it with side of wrench.
Swear some more when it hits the table after explosive ejection.
Get rubbing stone and clean up table.
Now would be a good time to have a cold beer.

Back