What's new
What's new

How to fix balancer on Rockwell 15/Delta 200 drill presses?

Cannonmn

Stainless
Trying to get the balance mech put back in correct pos on a Rockwell 15-000 balanced-head drill. Failed to get an overall pic, sry, and couldn't find much on web except a pic of the balancer parts, copied below. As u can see the chain is off the pulley and rotated around the column about 180 degrees, but still under 100 lbs or more of spring tension. I'm cautious about disassembling things under lots of spring tension/compression so have stopped to ask how to proceed here. There are two screws a few inches from top of column, on opposite sides of column. Drill was in this condition when I got it so I don't know how it got that way. But it all works except that part so I want to fix it. Help-drawings, manual, experience?

img_5265.jpg

img_5266.jpg

img_1230.jpg

Thanks for the link to the drawing, will take that next time I visit the drill. If I understand your question: The balancer' function is to make the drill head weightless so when the head-to-column release lever is loosened, the head can be moved vertically by hand with ease. So the chain must be run over the pulley after the chain is on correct azimuth wrto column.

Fixed-I was making it too complicated; Bill's drawing helped a lot. I lowered the head as far as possible to expose lots of chain, then immobilized the chain with a big hose clamp around top of column and chain. Jacked head up to slacken chain then unhooked end of chain inside head. Swiveled head around about 180 deg. so chain could go on pulley. Jacked up head as high as possible, Ran chain over pulley then hooked it into its Clevis inside head. Slowly loosened hose clamp until chain popped into position around pulley. Loosen screws securing column rotation and rotate column about 180 deg. So spindle is again over table. Tested vertical movement which was now smooth. Applied white lith grease where needed. Machine looks to have been used by Morse Controls ever since purchased, until I got it. The table doesn't have a scratch on it so they must have been using fixtures or vises at all times. There is a counter installed to count how many times the spindle was lowered.

img_5281.jpg

Last edited:

Back