What's new
What's new

Anilam DRO's... Opinions?

steel hand

Cast Iron
Considering one of the Wizard 411 units currently on sale at Enco. Anybody using one of these units? They seem like a deal, but I would like some other opinions.

I have one on a Bridgeport. It's ok, given what it cost - I bought it last time they were on sale at Enco, and I had a discount code, so it was around $650 IIRC. Overall it's satisfactory, especially given the price, but one thing I don't like much is the way the display updates - I was accustomed to Newalls, with an LED numerical display. The Anilam has an LCD, and it's sort of like watching a digital speedometer, or constantly fluxuating voltmeter - not always very clear, and there seems to be a bit of lag. The LCD is a plus in other ways, though - like the graphical bolt circle display and menu navigation, for example. There are a couple other things I could be nitpicky about (parts of the menu structure are not intuitive to me, certain defaults don't make much sense), but nothing major, and Accu-Rite (they made the scales at least, and maybe the whole thing) tech support was helpful when I called with some setup questions - it's not all covered in the manual. I should point out that I haven't put much time into figuring it out, so it may well be that some of the things I don't like about it can be changed.

I have a lathe I'd like to get a DRO for in the near future, and since a Newall is likely out of my budget, I'd certainly consider getting another Wizard 411. I've been thinking about the Newall M20, but I don't think it's available in the length I need.

Andrew

Back