What's new
What's new

OT: San francisco fire department still using/making wood ladders

Thanks for sharing that!

I love the workshop with all the huge windows. I'd love to have a warehouse in San Francisco.

-Wes

One more example of why Ca is broke! One word, FIBERGLASS!!!!!
It is great to feel all warm and fuzzy about your wooden ladder BUT "It takes two weeks for two guys to build a 50' ladder" "$100.00 a FOOT!!!!" Is SF run by the government!

I don't understand how you reduce the risk of a wooden ladder catching fire by adding a VOC-based varnish. I can also see workman's compensation claims from the weight of those things. I can imagine that a 50ft extension ladder would weigh 400 pounds or more.

OTOH, what happens to a fiberglass ladder as temperatures rise? I know aluminum is going to get HOT, but will fiberglass get soft and bendy?

I have heard of fiberglass ladders shattering. It did happen right here in Williamsburg. Severely injured a maintenance man when his ladder shattered.

Interesting

I somehow missed that while I was out there this spring. I think that saying that it because of the tight streets and wires does not explain how all of the old east coast and midwest cities manage without them. Philly has trolley lines in the street to deal with along with colonial era streets. Ever put up a ladder on tracks or cobblestones in bad weather? I personally do not ever wish to use a 40 or 50 foot wooden extention ladder, called a Bangor, with its tormentor poles ever again. Did it 36 years ago at fire school that was enough thank you. The last one out here that I know of was removed from service and placed in a museum by the begining of 1981. A 350 lb 50 footer requirers 6 men to employ 5 at a minimum and in an era of reduced staffing some cities run only 3-4 men to a truck or engine. 2 men can place a 35 foot aluminum ladder up in a pinch though 3 is prefered. If you need a ladder in a hurry, you do not want to wait to have extra hands to get it up there is just too much to do and too few to do it on most initial alarms. And no matter what kind of ladder, wires are a constant hazard that if they don't zapp you can get all caught up in you airpack and or tools that you are using.

Good for the Fire Fighters of San Fran

That must be a very heavy duty ladder.....

As a kid, I learned to use the 40 ft Wood ladder at home cleaning the gutters, painting the house, putting up swings from the tree limbs... and when I bought a ladder for use in my shop... it was a 40 ft WOOD....

Great video, it makes perfect sense to me.

Wooden ladders are my favorite in regards to climbing them. I've never encountered an Aluminum ladder that didn't flex like a wet noodle as I climbed. Fiberglass ladders don't flex and sway like aluminum but they aren't a whole lot lighter than wood and they melt.

AP,

My Werner 40 foot Blue does NOT bend at all. I carried LOTS of 75 pound bundles of shingles up that one, and it was little more bendy that a sidewalk.

I have used some pretty cheap aluminum ladders, and they scared me. I have used some pretty damned good WOODEN ladders, and they have little bounce, and those up to 60 foot, nd they have little spring to them, either.

I am not a Fireman, but I would think that when a wooden ladder catches fire, it is going to lose strength gradually. A "glass" or aluminum ladder is going to melt at once, when it gets hot enough.

I have no idea of the requirement for other ladders, BUT, WOOD ladders have very stringent requirement as to the wood allowed to be used. Sitka Spruce or Douglas Fir, or Southern Yellow Pine (I think is included) are strong woods.

Given length Fibreglass ladder is heavier than an Aluminum ladder of the same rating. I simply do not like Fibreglas ladders.

FibreGlas is NO any more than strands of glass in a plastic matrix, and thet pisses me off no end when I hear the ads for FibreGlas windows.THEY try to sell you that THEIR windows, FibreGlas reinforced PLASTIC, are Oh, So much better than Vinyl "They're made out of "PLASTIC"!!!"

Sumbitch. So are YOURS.

Cheers,

George

It is great to feel all warm and fuzzy about your wooden ladder BUT "It takes two weeks for two guys to build a 50' ladder" "$100.00 a FOOT!!!!" Is SF run by the government!

I guess you don't take a newspaper where you are over there in Florida. Sure, we're broke here in California but it's not because of the San Francisco firefighters' wooden ladders.

The main reason is the illegal aliens that storm over the borders, have their anchor babies and then bring their relatives to freeload and suck up all of the welfare and entitlements.

Ladders? Ha. that's a laugh. :crazy:

Shurely by the time the ladders even approaching catching fire its not going to be passable by a fireman anyrate? Weather thats alu fiberglass or wood?

SF is employing its own workers and keeping their tax money in the local economy. How many of your ladders are imported from China down in Florida? Who’s foreign government is in control of your Florida tax dollars? BTW not all of California is broke- some of us Californians have paid off houses, cars, and didn't gamble by taking equity out of our homes.

YouTube - I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here (Casablanca)

SF is employing its own workers and keeping their tax money in the local economy. How many of your ladders are imported from China down in Florida? Who’s foreign government is in control of your Florida tax dollars? BTW not all of California is broke- some of us Californians have paid off houses, cars, and didn't gamble by taking equity out of our homes.

YouTube - I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here (Casablanca)

Good post! I agree. BTW, I didn't mean to say that I'm broke when I said that California is broke in the post above. I'm actually doing rather well. I happen to be one of those "low life, scum-sucking lawyers that everyone blames for everything.

Bankruptcy? Foreclosure? Repossessions? Divorce? Bring it on. I need a new milling machine. :D

Good post! I agree. BTW, I didn't mean to say that I'm broke when I said that California is broke in the post above. I'm actually doing rather well. I happen to be one of those "low life, scum-sucking lawyers that everyone blames for everything.

Bankruptcy? Foreclosure? Repossessions? Divorce? Bring it on. I need a new milling machine. :D

Bankruptcy? Foreclosure? Repossessions? ... Those are the major problems when people live beyond their means and borrow way more than they can afford. I've always lived within my means and when the economy took a dive I was ready.
BTW my grandson just passed the bar in July and is working down here in South California as a lawyer.

I just gotta tell this story. I was working in Thailand building a hanger for the CIA. I needed a forty foot ladder so I told the locals to make me one. They made a beautiful ladder out of mahogany which was all we had. We could not stand it up it was so heavy. It ended up on the side of the runway where it may be laying to this day.

Back