What's new
What's new

How to machine or ream out .957 I.D. sch. 80 stainless pipe to 1.020 inches ?

BlueHoleDiver

Plastic
Cannot locate any reamers that specific size, do I use a boring bar, or ?

Seems I need to take out about 63 thous.

The pipe is 26 inches long, can work from both ends, but that's better than 13 inches long tool needed.

Last time I needed a special size reamer I got it from a company called Kokiak Cutting Tool or something of the like. Made in USA, reasonable cost, reasonable shipping, and no minimum order etc. I have no affiliation with them, just happy with the product.

FWIW, I have no idea on the tool-life; the nature of most special size reamers is they're needed for 1-time use and then sit in a drawer, which was the case for me.

And why? Is there better alternative? :smoking:

There usually are. What if the OP doesn't have a lathe or a mill but has a $20 budget? Again, if he has a bunch to do, there are carbide disc reamers that could do that in one shot. Information is your friend. Learned that a long, long time ago.
JR

DO NOT assume anything with some of the posters here.

Might be trying to spin this with a "Mini lathe", and cannot
understand the forces involved, and can't seem to justify
more than $20 for a tool.

Pretty much; almost always. Hot Roll Scheduled pipe is going to be a different answer than Delrin®.

Trying to manage that with a Dewalt is going to be different than if he has access to a 36" swing Monarch.

If he can blast through it with a Drill because tolerance doesn't matter, that is different than Reaming.

R

DO NOT assume anything with some of the posters here.

Might be trying to spin this with a "Mini lathe", and cannot
understand the forces involved, and can't seem to justify
more than $20 for a tool.
Yup.
From the question I'm assuming that OP is not very experienced in this field and "need" for the boring might be bc his own design.

Misumi reamer

Tolerance? 1.02 is awfully close to 25.9mm
High-Speed Steel Machine Reamer, Straight Blade, Straight Right Blade, �.�1mm Unit Designation Model | MISUMI | MISUMI USA

0.063 is a lot to remove with reamer so 3 or 4 flute core drill to 1...1.01" and ream rest of it.

Yep, drill it first then ream it. That MISUMI tool is 11 inches long and halfway through the pipe is 13 inches, need to figure out how to get or manufacture an "extension" for the reamer.

Back