What's new
What's new

NEW!! Scraping class late info

Forrest Addy

Diamond
A note to the Springfield VT scraping class members from Forrest Addy

Here's what I'd like every one of you to bring: a work apron, suitable work clothes, and your scraper collection if you have any. And bring along a luggage portable scraping product or project if you have something you’d like to show us. One of you is bringing along parts of a small lathe we can use for class discussion.

I’m giving you all a homework assignment to be completed before you arrive in Springfield: when you receive the course materials in the mail in a few days, review and familiarize yourselves with them. I mean, study the materials and take notes. If you can, take the book out in your shop and try to visualize scraping working with the equipment and materials you have available.

We're gonna have fun but our time is short to do more than cover the basics in four short days but – the more you all study and prepare before hand the more ground we can cover in class.

Be sure to learn the vocabulary. Make cards up if you have to and drill yourself in the terms you're unfamiliar with. I’ve found that clear communication using precise terminology is the key to technical progress. I won't cut anyone slack when it comes to technical terms. I will use them out loud and expect you to understand them as each are discussed and introduced into the course.

The days will be divided up into class and lab sessions; one each before and after lunch. There will be no set class outline but the material will be biased towards the skills leading to machine tool rebuilding. We will start with the basics beginning with Richard King’s excellent video.

As for tools: Also make up a small toolbox to bring with you. in it bring:

- small 4 or 6 oz ball peen hammer
- prick punch
- surface gage or height gage with scribe
- small test indicator to go on the surface or height gage
- mikes to 3"
- Phillips screwdriver and/or battery drill and driver bits.
- your favorite hand cleaner
- tube of Prussian blue (Dykem if you can get it)
- feeler gage with good 0.001" or 0.0015" leaves
- 10" files with handles - one 4 square, one mill smooth both in good shape
- your slip stone collection.

Not all of us can outfit for this class but, trust me, all this and more will be needed if you pursue precision scraping. If you don't have all this stuff at the moment, maybe your bench mates will help you.

If you have a power scraper (Biax or otherwise) bring it if you can. If you dont have scrapers of your own, no sweat; I'm bringing enough for everyone.

Everyone can purchase the scrapers I made for the class. Part of the course-work takes you through making and sharpening your own scrapers. They are easy to make from available shop materials or from scratch using brazed-on carbide. If you have an old surface plate or straight edge you need to check please bring it.

You'll probably find that only about half the cool stuff you will learn comes from my lecture and demonstrations. One of the marvelous things about these seminars I've staged is the information exchange that comes informally from peers. I've learn a lot from my classes. So come with an open mind. You're gonna meet some cool people.

I suggest some of you informally organize a small gift or commemoration for the venue host and organizers. They went through a lot to bring all this together and they deserve a little recognition and a token.

[ 04-05-2007, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Forrest Addy ]

Just moments ago our postal person handed me my course book in todays mail delivery. I'm thumbing through it now. Thank you Forrest. Time is getting close. Looks like this class is going to happen. Yipppeeee.

Dick Parker

I sent an email to all I have addresses for but there were a couple I don't. Not a biggie but in case they check in, here's the text:

Getting down to the last details for the scraping class. This has to do with tools.

Bring the phillips but bring also a plain flat (about 5/16") screwdriver and a Torx #25 driver bit or handled screwdriver. We have no vises (well, just a few) so we have to work around the problem using handscrews which I will bring.

See you all there.

Forrest

Late breaking news.

Bob Rawls and I'm sure some others have books of interest to us old technologists. Bob is bringing a selection of his. I suggest you others look through your libraries and fetch along any quaint and curious volumes (of forgotten lore) you may have. Be sure to identify your books to avoid mix-ups of the inevitable matches. I suggest a Post-It on the inside cover if you don't wish to write in it.

Oh! And be sure to identify the tools you bring.

What time are we supposed to arrive on the first day (April 17th). And, if I do a Mapquest on 76 pearl street will I get sufficient information to find Gearworks.

If I missed these details in earlier posts, I apologize for reasking. I plan on driving up from Connecticut on the first morning and meeting in the shop.

Thanks
Dick Parker

Dick,
I used MapQuest and it appears that GearWorks is less than a mile from the Hartness House; could probably walk it.
Like you, I also need the starting time; if it's not too early, I could avoid one night's stay at Hartness by driving in early Tuesday morning.

Pete

I got a call today from the Hartness House asking if I wanted a reservation for the class. They apparently did not read the email I sent them two weeks ago. So, if you get a call from an "802" number, it might be them trying to reserve a room for you.

I, too, just got a call from the Hartness House. Spoke with Dameon. He was able to firm up my transfer reservation from Jan to now. (I did send an Email a few days ago)

Dick Parker

Having spoke with Forrest today, he advised classes will convene at 8:00 AM sharp. Doors open at 6:00 AM with coffee available.
We are easy enough to find. Is a 3-story, non descript, brick building, on left, at end of street. Use the large parking lot on South end of building. Enter thru second floor lobby. Is about a 20 minute walk to the Hartness House Inn. After class we welcome you relax, spread knowledge, and enjoy your favorite beverage.

Possible project? I have a piece of steel bar 2" x 3/4" x 3 feet or so. I know proper straight edges are massive cast iron webbed contrivances. I have an 18x24 granite surface plate that I am definitely not carrying to VT, but could I possibly true up this bar enough to check my surface plate?

I know I may be letting my stupid show a little, but I'll be the first to classify myself, to use a Forrestism, as the rankest of beginners.

I'm seriously looking forward to this!

MattW

I spoke to Don Shattuck the organizer. He tells me the April 17th class and the April 21st class each starts at 8 AM at the Gear Works in Springfield VT. There will be signs or something to show you where to go. There will be coffee and goodies in the AM and sandwich makings for lunch on site each day. What happens after class depends on you. Don't make it too strenuous; I'll be issuing a homework assignment each afternoon.

Adding, I see I replicated Don's announcement.

After a complete review of the class materials, I have 2 questions:
1. How did page 4 get ahead of page 3 ?
2. Do we get a break for '#1' or should we
bring a can ?

Looking forward to meeting you all soon, Jim

Hello Forrest,
It Is not possible for me to attend your scraping class. Would it be possible to purchase your lesson book seperately. If so please let me know how you would like to be paid, how much and where.
Thank you, Bob M.

Me too, I emailed Don last night and asked if I could bump into the next session. I was planning to leave early this morning, but the driving conditions most of the way there looked pretty rough. Jim

Back