What's new
What's new

Leeson Motor Parts

rzap

Aluminum
I have a Leeson motor out of a industrial vibratory tumbler. 110VAC, 1/2 HP. Model Number C4S17DZ30C.
I need the internal fan. Every time I get with Leeson support they send me a fan with a smaller then I have shaft size. I need the hole in the fan to be 0.987". They keep sending me a fan with a 0.750 hole. The manufacturer of the Tumbler wants to sell me a new motor and will not supply parts to repair this motor. Leeson lists the motor as a custom application motor.
It is now the third time I have tried to get the right fan. CAn anyone help Please?

There must be a catch somewhere. If the only problem is hole size, can it not be drilled/bored to .987 with a new bushing or shaft coupler? You could probably modify six of 'em in the time you'll spend fighting with customer support.

Maybe look at the frame number and shaft size and ensure that they are standard, then look in the Leeson catalog for a similar motor design, and order the fan from a motor that has the same shalft size as your motor? I've got to think that Leeson would use standard parts rather than create the expense of a whole new fan just for one customer.

There must be a catch somewhere. If the only problem is hole size, can it not be drilled/bored to .987 with a new bushing or shaft coupler? You could probably modify six of 'em in the time you'll spend fighting with customer support.

All the cooling fans I have dealt with on small motors, aside from the plastic units, are stamped aluminum deals with a wall of about 1- RCH....there isn't enough material to even think about enlarging the hole...but I could be all wet on this!:eek:

The OP states "internal" fan so I assume this motor may be TENV. If this motor really does have an external fan and cover, then most motor shops have a supply of aftermarket replacement fans with snap-in hubs to fit many bore sizes.

Stuart

Reduce the shaft diameter, and get on with your life.

I suspect the diameter is actually 25 mm, and perhaps Leeson sourced these units from overseas, and someone failed to reject them for incorrect dimensions.

Your customer service contacts are clueless; they really don't need to know, so don't work with them.

You need to contact Leeson's quality control, and explain that your unit seems to be metric.

You may only get one chance to get someone's ear, so provide photographs, drawings, etc., and a list of possible Leeson metric frames that use a 25 mm shaft (and hopefully a 25 mm bore in the fan).

Last edited:
I used to work for Marathon Electric, and have personally seen all of the Leeson operations. Motors of this size were made in Neilsville, WI which shut down a couple years ago, taking the plain jane motors to Juarez, Mexico. The larger motors and specials are still make in Black River Falls WI. These guys may be able to help. They are a small operation, and since bought out by Marathon (who was bought by Regal Beloit) parts sales are in Wausau WI. They can look up the BOM for your model number no matter how special. They will have it shipped from BRF to you.
BTW, Dayton, GE comercial HVAC, Marathon, Leeson are all make on the same lines in Juarez for the smaller motors up to 5 hp. I went there for 4 weeks, trip was cut short because a nearby plant (Saginaw steering or Siemens) had their plant manager drug out in the street and shot in the head three times. Sad part is I heard he lived. There are a lot of very company oriented guys in their 50s commuting from El Paseo to Juarez every day. I don't think there is enough money in the world for me to do that.
Joe

I think this thread if out of control...we have gone from 'get on with your life' to ' the cartel has taken his life'...all this for a fricken fan on a little dinky motor. Is the small motor in the spotlight a TENV or a TEFC? The OP has the forum tripping over a dollar to pick up a dime. As the old lady on the TV was heard to say..."where's the beef'!!:ack2:

Stuart

I think this thread if out of control...we have gone from 'get on with your life' to ' the cartel has taken his life'...all this for a fricken fan on a little dinky motor. Is the small motor in the spotlight a TENV or a TEFC? The OP has the forum tripping over a dollar to pick up a dime. As the old lady on the TV was heard to say..."where's the beef'!!:ack2:

Stuart

I myself am a bit sympathetic to the OP's query. I have a small horizontal bandsaw that most likely would never need the fan, but I bought the replacement (from Grizzly) anyway.

I do think a modest workshop would have the capacity to (somehow) reduce the shaft's diameter.

I understand that toolpost grinders, genuine or shop-rigged, are frowned upon, but could make this happen. I wouldn't immediately dismantle the motor, I would mount it on a board, cover the lathe's ways with a tarp or plastic sheeting, secure the board to the ways, tram the shaft into alignment, start the motor, start the "tool post grinder" and measure frequently.

Some steps were left out....Descartes would understand.

"Descartes" is in the spellcheck.....seriously.

Steve,

I rarely understand your posts but they are fun anyway! This is one I don't understand! Why would you advocate turning down a shaft to fit the fan when you don't even know where the fan is, if there is a fan or what it is 'fanning'! We have zero details on this problem, certainly not enough to give definitive direction. I just emailed Mr. Descartes and he heartily agreed with me.:D

Stuart

Back