Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How to make a self reversing screw?

gravydavy is offline Cast Iron

Quote Originally Posted by Dalian Dehua View Post
    Hello.

Except I can design winch diamond screw shaft (or be known spooling shaft, level winder shaft), I can also design spooling pawls (or be known spooling nut, guide block). The spooling nut is fitted with diamond screw shaft. If you provide relate data to me. I can design them for you. I send a photo to you for your reference.
    Very nice!

Are you offering to help out for the fun of it, or are you looking for a business opportunity?

I'm pretty sure that "for the fun of it" is a better choice in this thread.

Dalian Dehua is offline Plastic

Default How to make a self reversing screw?

Hello.

I try to send a photo of winch diamond screw shaft to you for your reference. I do not know whether to send success
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails integral-spooling-shaft-winch.jpg  

Dalian Dehua is offline Plastic

Hi

If you want to know more photos and more information of winch diamond screw shaft and nut, you may search “Dalian Dehua” on/in “google map” or ‘google webpage”.

Billtodd is offline Stainless
    Colchester UK (where the lathes used to be made)

Animation link fixed

Njones is offline Plastic

Very interesting thread!
    I'm looking for a supplier of self reversing screws at the moment & there are very few that I can find,.. the one quote I've received for a 500mm x 20mm screw was £1400!!

So,.. I'm thinking about making my own. I don't need super accuracy or even a strong material, I was considering using a nylon bar.

I think it might be possible to produce a very basic but working screw with little more that a complex jig and a dremmel!

Cory, with, "This is not for any project yet. I am just playn around." as criteria, your lathe turned example of diamond threads looks great and an easy way to to complete it would be to turn off both ends at tooth root* diameter and make a sleeve for each that incorporates the arcing return ramp and pin the the sleeves in place.
    *lets face it, the screw is only as strong as the root diameter anyway.
    This would allow you to do your best, find a slight error if any and tweek it.

Any subsequent features on either end of the shaft could be a part of one or both of the sleeves.

You could do worse than copy the design for the follower that Dalian Dehua kindly submitted as an example. The other option whould be a follower sleeve with a pin pointing inward, on which the "follow paddle' swivels.

Bob

Njones is offline Plastic

I found a very talented guy who made me one of these using a 3D printer!

He said he'd upload the cad files to Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects soon.

magneticanomaly is offline Stainless

FWIW, the device that guides rope so that it winds in even layers on a winch drum is called a "gypsy".

I've always wanted one on my tractor winch, and dang you all, now I know how to make one. Thanks for adding to my interminable project list.

<jbc> is offline Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    How does it return on itself? How is the nut block designed?

The place where this screw was most common was in the Yankee screwdriver. They are still available, and have a neat nut design.

bruto is offline Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by <jbc> View Post
    The place where this screw was most common was in the Yankee screwdriver. They are still available, and have a neat nut design.

The Yankee is a clever design, but the screw rotates only in one direction at a time, and the nut is not powered back and forth. It ratchets on return, and reverse is achieved by selecting a second nut with an opposite ratchet. I'm not sure whether you could re-rig this design to oscillate because I'm not sure it could reverse cleanly at the end of its stroke.

Heavey Metal is online now Titanium

Rapid traverse on lathes use these screws they have a forward nut and a reverse nut and it is activated by a brake on the od of the nut selected.

tomjelly is offline Cast Iron

Lots of garden hose reels use those for level winding. Time to go to home depot....
    S_W_Bausch likes this.

S_W_Bausch is offline Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by tomjelly View Post
    Lots of garden hose reels use those for level winding. Time to go to home depot....
    Yep, I just found one in the alley, the 'gyspy' still works.

If somebody encourages me, I can dismantle it and post some images.

If somebody wants the critical parts, they would fit in a flat-rate box; send me a PM.

I have enough "neat stuff" sitting around, so it's in my best interest to not get attached to this hose reel.

Steve

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123